THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:53 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:46 pm 

Where was that great idea last night when I was in the bottle a bit and hand tightened. No this afternoon I could not get the damn thing off to safe my life. Channel locks are great but can be evil in the wrong hands. I must be evil.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:26 pm 

Well, you have some options now:

1. Line a vise with plenty of rubber (two layers of tire innertube works well) and tighten the brake in the vise flats enough that the brake doesn't deform, and it stays in place while you torque. Grab the barrel just above the brake or at just the first inch or so of the reciever at the front trunnion (so as not to bend anything) and twist.

2. Stick the gun in a freezer for an hour. Then dip the tip of the brake, not the barrel at all, into boiling water for 10 seconds. Dry it off quickly, then try to unscrew the brake by hand and reapply heat and try again after another 10 seconds on just the brake until it slips. That way, the barrel is shrunken from cold and the brake is swollen from heat, giving a MUCH looser fit. If you do it right, you will laugh at how easily it comes apart. ;)

*Use rubber (innertube or the like) for grip with your hands as well.

*Once off, grind flats. Make sure they are a common size and not too deep into the material. They should also be perfectly parallel so the wrench won't slip and round the edges thus defeating the purpose of "flats". :D

*When you are ready to mount more permanently, use blue Loctite or similar after degreasing the threads on both parts with alcohol. If the threads are oily, the thread locker compound will be weak.

Praise the LORD, an' pass the amma-nition!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:03 pm 

I called it some cross words and it knew who was boss. Grinding the flats ASAP tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:33 pm 

First post here, not sure if this has been mentioned or not. This is the choke I have on my VEPR-12 that also works with the Saiga. Use coupon code "10saigabucks" for $10 off $50 purchase.
http://www.saiga-12.com/proddetail.asp? ... e-II-SHORT

It fits perfectly inside this 30" compact gun bag too. http://legionusainc.com/smallest-bag-dark-brown.html

I also have the Russian lower handguard from Legion USA with a Magpul AFG2 installed with a flashlight on the side. http://legionusainc.com/vepr-12-lower-handguard.html

Then to top it off I put a Burris FastFire III 3MOA dot, which fits in the gun bag just fine. People are surprised when I pull out a VEPR-12 out of that bag lol! A 10rd magazine will fit in that front pouch too. I'll post pics soon when I find the time :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:30 pm 

quick question about muzzle devices in general. I recently took off my Molot flash hider to put on my GK-01 and had a bit of rust on the threads. I cleaned the threads with brake cleaner, a towel and before I put the GK-01 on I sprayed the threads with Ballistol.

The GK-01 has a counter screw and sits really tight now. Is it ok like thos or should I use some thread locker?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:41 pm 

Nothing wrong with adding a little thread thread locker.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:54 pm 

Are you planning on removing the GK-01 in the near future?

If not, I would do as you have, then a light coat of antisieze on both sides of the main threads. Then a little blue Loctite on the set screw (torque it pretty firmly). I would imagine that would work well and be somewhat easy to undo in a year or two.

Maybe someone knows better than I... :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:09 pm 

Rocksett is what you use on muzzle devices.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:16 pm 

I just ordered the GK-02, hopefully it will work okay, was thinking upon getting it to shorten the Vepr to 14 and permanent mount this..has anybody done that around here yet? Krinkov

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:54 pm 

KRINKOV wrote:
I just ordered the GK-02, hopefully it will work okay, was thinking upon getting it to shorten the Vepr to 14 and permanent mount this..has anybody done that around here yet? Krinkov

Evl has done that along with reaming the barrel for threaded internal chokes: http://www.vepr.org/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=2606

14" is a good length if the V12 is properly refined (the standard 3 dram equivalent bulk birdshot and higher can still cycle 100%). This set up gives benefits of chokes, shorter length, and a muzzle brake/comp. Compact, less felt recoil (both shorter duration due to barrel and braking), less muzzle rise (compensator), slight rearward shift of balance, use standar (cheap and effective) chokes. Some of these benefits can only be had with a short barrel shotgun (SBS require registration, $200 stamps, restricted access, written permission to cross a state line...), but this type requires none of that fuss, and gives every benefit aside from taking off the muzzle device. Very cool! 8-) Downside: It is expensive and super loud...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next