THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:35 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:25 am 
Business Member

Gentlemen,
Consider this a gift from me to you. It took me all of a few minutes to come up with the design and it works great if you do it correctly. Times are tough, VEPR 12 mags are pricy and somewhat scarce, and this project will cost you very little to do. It is highly probable that many of you DIY guys have enough stuff rattling around in the workbench to make this happen. I did and I didn't have to look very hard. I will be adding more to this in the way of pics and measurements, but this video should be enough for most of you who have decent hand skills and attention to detail. Now get to work and post some video of you rocking some Saiga 12 mags in your VEPR 12!

Feel free to ask questions!

evl....

I'll go through the pros and cons of this design before we get started....

Pros....
1- If properly done, you can use any quality Saiga 12 stick mag or drum in your VEPR 12!
2- It can be reversed in a few minutes and you can use your VEPR 12 magwell, magwell mags, and LRBHO function again.
3-The BHO can still remain functional, but has to be carefully engaged manually with the button on the bottom of the receiver.

Cons....
1- The magwell has to come off.
2- LRBHO function is disabled, but as of yet, that function can't be used with unmodified Saiga 12 mags anyway.
3- The BHO lever has to be left out of the weapon (just the lever, not the plunger, spring, and nut).
4- There is minor fitting required on the tab of the lower handguard, but it isn't visible with the weapon assembled.

Onward.... you will need the following materials and tools to do it like I did it.

Materials....
1- A piece of angle. I used 1 1/4" galvanized angle, 1/8" thick. Angle isn't necessary, but it makes it go a little faster by reducing the amount of work.
2- (1) 8-32 screw (socket cap allen, button head allen, whatever you prefer or have on hand). This can be substituted, but a similar diameter is beneficial. If you go larger, you will need to do some fitting to the slot of the bottom of the receiver where the magwell retainer screw goes.
3- (1) 8-32 nut (hex, square, whatever you prefer or have on hand). The bigger the nut is, the more material needs to be removed from the tab of the lower handguard, so keep it small.

Tools....
1- 5/32" drill bit or drill bit large enough to allow your screw to pass through the piece of angle, but still fit with little or no play. It really depends on your screw selection.
2- Drill or Drill press
3- Dremel with a cutoff disc or a hacksaw will do the job.
3- Files. A large flat file and a small file would be ideal.
4- A bench grinder would be beneficial, but isn't required.
5- A scribe or something to mark with.
6- Ruler or Calipers.
7- Old ragged-ass screwdriver that you don't mind making a dedicated magwell removal tool out of.

.... AND HERE IS THE VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpV2N26cZKM

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:40 pm 
Voice of Reason

Awesome work, and thanks for sharing.

Like you said, its almost a step backwards, but im sure alot of people who have a stack of s12 mags will be all over this, esp for the price. Im glad you decided to take the time to explain it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:56 pm 
Business Member

No problem. I, like many others, was really stretching it financially when I bought my V12s. It was just horrible timing for me and probably for quite a few others. Most guys that bought V12s probably already have a S12 and a few mags, so this little mod may help them get by until they can get enough V12 mags to have a good time at the range. I could have sat on it, but I have a few others ideas that I am sitting on that blow this away, by far, so I decided to share it. A gift....

It will be kind of cool seeing people post some video of them having a good time with it as well. I like to help others and be but a small part of their happiness. That is my reward.

evl....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:23 am 
Big Sal

Well done on the video sir.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:10 am 
Business Member

BigSal wrote:
Well done on the video sir.

The camera doesn't have a display, so I had no clue if what I was doing could be seen well enough. Also, I was about 10 feet from the first lane of the indoor range. Naturally, no one was in the range shooting until I turned the camera on. I was pleasantly surprised when I watched it and realized that it wasn't a colossal waste of time :mrgreen:

Hopefully, it will put some guys get in the game that may not have the extra money to get mags or an aftermarket adapter.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:47 pm 

wondering if this adaptor :

http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/p ... -guide.htm

would work on a Vepr, and kinda do the same thing - only a bit more "polished"?

I sent an email to them to ask, but haven't got a response yet..

It would sure be nice to have access to all the different regular Saiga mags & not have to butcher the Vepr to do so..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:32 pm 
Business Member

It would take fairly heavy modification to do it. You would be better off just following the tutorial. A lot cheaper too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:47 am 

Hello every one...Has any one made the VEPR 12 an SBS?...will it cycle birdshot?...thank you

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:20 pm 
Business Member

I am starting a batch of Vepr 12 work that will be getting chopped various lengths. I should have many video documented examples of the potential for reliability at various sub-18" lengths if one is worked by me, assuming the customers will allow me the share the test videos. These weapons can be very individual and who is doing the work has a great deal to do with how and what it might run.