THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:25 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:04 am 
Voice of Reason

There is plenty of info on converting AGP mags for various Saiga 12 magwells, so it has always been assumed that they could also be converted to seat in Vepr-12's as well. I would like to confirm that these mags will work, and for anyone who hasn't seen those tutorials, or who is worried about not having the fancy tools those tutorials show, dont worry about it. This was a very simple conversion done very quickly with a simple rasp and a mill file.

Attachment:
molotagpsidebyside.jpg

Comparing the Molot factory mag the most apparent difference is the front lug, which is not needed. We will not only need to remove this lug, but the magwell mag also uses the front of the mag to determine mag angle, and the position of the rear lug, we will actually need to thin the front edge of the mag above the front lug.

Attachment:
molotagprearlug.jpg

Looking at the rear lugs, they are almost identical. little or no changes will need to be made here.

Attachment:
frontlug.jpg

Using a flat rasp, I cut down the front lug and thinned the front edge of the mag, trying to keep this edge straight with the angle that the mag slides against the front of the magwell. Frequent fitting will make sure you are only taking off as much as you need.

You will also notice almost immediately that the first screw "bump" makes the mag too long for the magwell, so i took a rasp to that as well, filing it flat nearly down to the screw head.

When you get the mag to fit the mag well easily, you will notice that it there is some resistance near the end of insertion, and that the mag does not want to click all the way in. DO NOT TRY AND FORCE IT. If you look into the receiver, you will see that the magazine is pusing up on the BHO lever.

Attachment:
bhocut.jpg

Clearancing the mag for the BHO lever is straightforward, thin the inside of the right side of the magazine and the outside corner where the lever will sit.

Attachment:
bhorear.jpg

This will allow the magazine to seat fully, and more importantly, allow the bolt to close.

Some more smoothing of surfaces will make insertion easy. I did some smoothing of the ribs in the rear of the mag because I had thought they were rubbing, but I do not believe this is necessary, almost all of the insertion and rear angle is handled by the angle and smoothness of the front of the mag.

I am not one hundred percent done with this mag, as smoothing it would help, and I do have to press fairly hard on the bottom rear of the mag to seat it, but it seats, and it functions, a little solvent and a rag should smooth out the rasp marks easily.

Attachment:
finished.jpg

I like these mags, and have a few of them, so I may convert some more, but I will have to compare the SGM product before I decide. There are a few solutions offered on some forums about making the AGP mag trigger the BHO, but none of them seem 100%, so I have skipped that step here. Maybe in the future, ill unscrew the AGP halves and try to fit the factory molot follower in the AGP mag.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:06 am 
Big Sal

This should be a sticky.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:37 am 

Very nice!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:36 am 
Business Member

Well done and a great contribution.

Custom Saiga-12, Vepr-12, KS-12, and Lynx builds
(SBS and reliability are my specialties)
Cerakote and Moly Resin refinishing
AK100 installs
...and more

DIRECT ALL INQUIRIES TO...
evlutionz@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:25 pm 

I am going to try and modify a keepshooting mag this weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:56 am 
Big Sal

Lord AK-47 wrote:

Post pictures if you are sucessfull. Curious to see if they do well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:40 pm 

BigSal wrote:
Lord AK-47 wrote:

Have to put it on hold until I get a tool (AR-15 front sight tool in mail) to take my mag-well off to reattach my mag release.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:48 pm 
Big Sal

Lord AK-47 wrote:
BigSal wrote:
Lord AK-47 wrote:

Have to put it on hold until I get a tool (AR-15 front sight tool in mail) to take my mag-well off to reattach my mag release.

Ill wait, no worries! :lol: Id like to see pics though when available. It would make a good addition to this thread.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:29 am 

I ground the front flat on the Keep shooting mag and it fit to loose in the VEPR-12. I got carried away and didnt test it enough while removing the plastic. At any rate I was able to push the mag forward and chamber dummy rounds. I didnt alter any other surfaces. If I get some more Keepshooting mags I might try again.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:11 pm 

Thanks for posting this. Great info.