THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:08 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:30 am 

So I'm used to AKs (and other platforms from shotguns to rifles to pistols) where you don't really have to clean them much, pretty much ever.

I just successfully got my VEPR 12 to run 3 dram Federal bulk pack but had to add 2 ports and increase all 7 of their sizes to .089" to do so (after reprofiling/polishing everything). *If I had it to do over, I'd probably just do 6 ports and make them slightly larger as there's not really enough real estate to do 7 ports much bigger than .089" and I think when I shorten the bbl, I'm going to need to upsize the ports a bit to keep it running bulk pack 3 DE.*

After only 57 rounds, the puck has some pretty large chunks of what looks like burnt powder, but it may be melted wad and powder.

Regardless, while it ran those 57 rounds flawlessly, I would think eventually, you'll get enough build up that it's going to choke the gas system.

So, just how often (in terms of rounds down range) before one has to clean this shotgun to keep it running reliably?

Maybe I'm worried about nothing and you can shoot a couple hundred rounds in a range day and not have to worry about it choking......just trying to determine at what point it starts to be an issue for *most* folks (if at all). I don't mind that I may have to clean the gas system every few hundred rounds, but more often than that and I'm not going to really trust this thing.

Thanks for any input.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:24 pm 

Location: Mckeesport, PA: AKA the slag pile (the only place where the garbage man delivers)
i personally recommend you clean the v12 after every outing, when i go to my cabin over the weekend 2-3 times a month i put about 200-300 rounds through them and the gas puc gets very dirty and the bolt carrier group also is dirty. what i do is remove the css stainless gas puc or low brass stainless puc hit it with a wire brush in some soapy water let it dry, stick a pick into the gas block remove all the carbon debris, hit it with pressurized air, then clean the bolt carrier group, clean the inner parts of the reciever with a clean cotton rag. then the last step is i take my tipton carbon fiber cleaning rod with a 12 gauge mop and pull it from breach to barrel that is all i do.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:26 pm 

Location: Mckeesport, PA: AKA the slag pile (the only place where the garbage man delivers)
i forgot to mention using federal ammo this stuff seems to burn a bit cleaner and hotter than most stuff out there and as a result it has less debris and carbon build up overall.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:49 pm 

I think I remember reading a thread where where someone had yet to clean their V12. I think it was Commie Mike (sorry if not). How many rounds through it now?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:11 pm 

I'm not too worried about carbon....what I'm concerned about is the melted black plastic (I'm assuming wads) from the Federal bulk pack. Most wads I've seen for shotgun shells are white....I haven't cut apart a shell to see, but does anyone know if the Federals are black?

2-300 rounds between cleanings would be fine.....I typically will run that many rounds in a day. Just don't want to hand it to someone and have it choke while we're out shooting.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:46 pm 

Just got back from a short range session....the wads are definitely white, not black. They must mix with carbon/powder to change color when you shoot them.

Anyway....ran 152 rounds of Federal bulk pack, game load and, dove and small game.....got a slightly larger piece of melted plastic after more than double the rounds. Gun was still running just fine on the bulk pack at the end of the shooting session. Will have to test further to see if it ever builds to the point of causing malfs.

JFYI....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:24 pm 

Motar wrote:
I think I remember reading a thread where where someone had yet to clean their V12. I think it was Commie Mike (sorry if not). How many rounds through it now?

You are correct. He's attempting a world record number of rounds through a weapon without a cleaning.

Myself, I clean mine after every other outing. Clean the puke, gas chamber and moving parts with rubbing alcohol. Run a cotton swab down the barrel, compressed air to the "guts" and call it a day.

Bobs V12: v1.0 #14VAC7883 R.I.P. -- v2.0 Particularly awesome.
"Advanced Noob".

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:56 pm 

I did a longevity test on a V12. Bob made me clean it around 1500 rounds. Lol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:01 pm 

Commie Mike wrote:
I did a longevity test on a V12. Bob made me clean it around 1500 rounds. Lol

Are you running a stock length bbl and gas port arrangement?

Thanks. :)

Sean

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:28 pm 

It was all OEM stock. I was using Frog Lube in the shotgun.