THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Need more length of pull
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:53 pm 

Hello, new guy here. I just bought a 23" 54r Vepr. I would like to get about two more inches on the length of pull. I like the Dragunov style stocks but I think the l.o.p. on them is 14 inches also. I haven`t looked to see how the recoil pad is attached to my stock as I was thinking about adding a spacer. Any suggestions ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:07 am 

Legion USA might have something you can add to stock.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:18 pm 

Commie Mike wrote:
Legion USA might have something you can add to stock.

Thanks for the reply. I didn`t see anything at Legion. Just wondering how the recoil pad was put on the factory stock. I don`t see any screw holes, surely they don`t glue them on do they?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:10 pm 

It comes with a small strap that buckles around the butt. Very good fit on the Molot stock with or without the strap.

EDIT: l assume that you have the tubular stock; I cannot comment about the wood stock.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:26 pm 

Adjudic8r wrote:
It comes with a small strap that buckles around the butt. Very good fit on the Molot stock with or without the strap.

EDIT: l assume that you have the tubular stock; I cannot comment about the wood stock.

Nope, sorry, I have the wood stock.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:16 pm 

gotta love them "rules of thumb" and "old wives tales"
so here you go:

" A general rule of thumb when testing a gun’s fit is that the thumb of the support hand (the hand around the wrist of the stock) should be about 1.5” from the shooters nose when the firearm is shouldered just like you are shooting it. (The old wives tale about holding the gun stock in the crook of the arm is just that, an old wives tale, and does not really tell us if the LOP matches the shooter)"

^ 'the wrist of stock' will obviously not apply to pistol grip or vepr's thumbhole stock ( or for Pinocchio ) so maybe someone can quote a rule of thumb for that...
and I'm not sure I understand what the "holding in the crook of the arm" is supposed to accomplish either

and then my google has taken me here:
http://www.lovemybubbles.com/adhesive-s ... 9510.shtml

that can't be right, right?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:13 pm 

Rakoczy wrote:
gotta love them "rules of thumb" and "old wives tales"
so here you go:

" A general rule of thumb when testing a gun’s fit is that the thumb of the support hand (the hand around the wrist of the stock) should be about 1.5” from the shooters nose when the firearm is shouldered just like you are shooting it. (The old wives tale about holding the gun stock in the crook of the arm is just that, an old wives tale, and does not really tell us if the LOP matches the shooter)"

^ 'the wrist of stock' will obviously not apply to pistol grip or vepr's thumbhole stock ( or for Pinocchio ) so maybe someone can quote a rule of thumb for that...
and I'm not sure I understand what the "holding in the crook of the arm" is supposed to accomplish either

and then my google has taken me here:
http://www.lovemybubbles.com/adhesive-s ... 9510.shtml

that can't be right, right?

I use the crook of the arm method if you can call that a method. Bottom line is that I know what feels right and I don`t like scrunching up on the stock. Guess I could stick one of those "butt" pads on my shoulder. lol