THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:29 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:56 pm 

So, im a VEPR guy. I have 2 7.62x39's, one in traditional wood stock and one in AR/Krebs furniture. I also have the VEPR12 that is pure unadulterated fun to shoot. I have been on the fence for a while now in purchasing a 7.62x54r version of the VEPR and with the recent ban i decided to pull the proverbial trigger and should receive the new rifle later this week. I think i have most of the options down. I went with SVD furniture from legion and the ALG enhanced trigger. So that leaves me with two main options,

1. what scope
2. what bipod

On the scope front, i am leaning towards staying with a traditional russian optic, i.e some flavor of POSP. What has me thinking is that some of the reviews on this line of traditional scopes arent exactly the best. while i would like to maintain the authentic look of the rifle, would i be better served going with a traditional scope from a company like vortex? Also, i have seen it eluded to in a few threads but never stated outright, do the POSP line of scopes sit off center from the bore of the rifle in order to clear the iron sights? at face value if the POSP line of scopes does sit off set to the bore i dont think i would like that config

On the bipod front, i think i want to go with a receiver mount. looks like versa-pod with an adapter from black horse arsenal is the way to go. However, Black horse arsenal is out of stock on their mounting kits. Are their any other companies that supply receiver mounted kits? while i would rather not drill a hole in my reciever, i feel failry confident in being able to do it at home considering i have drilled out the fixed stock on the VEPR12 and installed my own bullet guides on the 7.62x39s.

Opinions on for or against traditional scope vs modern scope and bipod mounting options will be appreciated, thanks in advance. I will deffinitely post some before and after pics of the new build

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:23 am 

The POSP scopes are a PIA IMO and add alot of weight to a rifle that is heavy. There are new production Russian scopes produced by companies like VOMZ. I like your idea of going with a Vortex mounted on a good QD sidemount. I used to hunt with a 54r equipped with a Mueller scope and never had any problems. POSP scopes can be hit or miss and unfortunately I had bad experiences with both of the ones I threw in the garbage. Hopefully some of the 54r nuts can chime in and help you narrow your choices if you lean that way.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:52 pm 

Interesting to hear you had problems with a PSOP Mike. Have a few of them, and no problems.

Matt, it's a personal choice on both scope and bipod. PSO type scopes do work well on these guns. Yes, they sit off to the left side a bit. The 4x scopes aren't too heavy. The 6x and higher magnification can get heavy.

Ran a 3-9x Vortex with bullet drop compensator for a while. It worked pretty well, just using the BDC for longer ranges.

Have been using Harris bipods for awhile.. They are easy to move around to other rifles.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:38 am 

I had a pair of them. I have bad luck when it comes to POSP scopes. Lol.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:47 pm 

Have a Nikon Prostaff 5 3.5-14x40 on a Midwest Industries mount. It sits directly on the rifle centerline and works great.