THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:04 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:57 am 

AdioSS wrote:
FYI the AR15 doesn't have a pin like the AK does. They are often thread locked on or have crush washer or jamb nut.

Correctamundo.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:46 pm 

Sweetness on your VEPR bro. I greatly appreciate the step by step pictorial of removing the barrel cap to install a muzzle break. They had a do it yourselfer on youtube that was pretty good but very difficult to see the barrel cap pin coming out because the video was somewhat blurry. I just got my order out for the 20 inch VEPR and wanted more ideas like yours to get my VEPR on the same SWEETNESS trend.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:59 pm 

The barrel of my MAK90 wasn't threaded & the hole for the detention wasn't drilled or was filled in because of the laws at the time. I recently threaded the barrel & used locktite & an o-ring on the compensator.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:13 am 

Just installed my brake last night and I am very pleased with the outcome.
I don't have a dremel so I used a hack saw to saw out the pin on my 54R VEPR. It came right out after a few minutes of sawing. Screwed the Tapco Brake on until the pin shot out and it locked it right in place.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:20 pm 

I used the information in this thread to remove my thread cap. Very helpful! Didn't even screw up my rifle very much (a little paint helped the scratches).

My own advice: as long as you're even semi-careful, this operation is pretty simple. You are not going to wreck your barrel or threads by accident as long as you're mostly paying attention and dremeling the right part of the thread cap.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:11 pm 

Well, I did this last night and ended up grinding into my barrel. It's just cosmetic, but I feel like an idiot... brand new $750 rifle and I had to screw something up lol.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:27 am 

what I did Is used a drill with a stop on my buddies ak worked well

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:39 pm 

This guide was very helpful. I dremeled off a muzzle brake on an early import AK 47, and it wasn't fun. This gave me an idea of what I was in for and where to find the pin.

Before doing this, wrap your barrel with something. I used a heavy electrical tape - not sticky enough to mark up your finish, but tough enough to handle a dremel that gets away from you. Saved me from scratching up my barrel when my dremel slipped out of the groove I was grinding into.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:46 am 

On my 54R VEPR I used a Dremel with cutoff wheel to split the muzzle collar then spread it apart to remove it. The pin pulled out easily. I bought the Tapco AK muzzle brake because it was the cheapest. I have to say I am very pleased with the results. The bucking and twisting motion are significantly calmed down and the twisting has disappeared.

The raised portion of the Tapco brake looks a little unstreamlined but right now I'm going for function. The "ring" can easily be removed if the aesthetics get to me. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:59 am 

I got mine dremeled off without issue, and put a polish akml brake on it.