THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 27" 7.62x54R VEPR
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:10 am 

Hey all, anyone know of a site that has a VEPR in 7.62x54R with a 27" barrel for sale? I am new to the VEPR scene and heard they are hard to find these days.

Post subject: Re: 27" 7.62x54R VEPR
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:51 am 

They are a white rhino these days
NOBODY's got them, not even on gunbroker

the funny part is it really doesn't seem that long
however after shooting or handling it all the other rifles definitely seem too short in comparison LOL

also it's not just longer
The barrel outside diameter is the same as the front sight base, all the way.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:53 am 

Rakoczy wrote:
They are a white rhino these days
NOBODY's got them, not even on gunbroker

the funny part is it really doesn't seem that long
however after shooting or handling it all the other rifles definitely seem too short in comparison LOL

also it's not just longer
The barrel outside diameter is the same as the front sight base, all the way.
I like the white rhino analogy. I guess they must have been either a really good seller and got snapped up right away or a very poor seller and sat on the shelves a long time (so now no one wants to import them). Atlantic Firearms had them 6 months ago from what I remember. I was just learning about VEPR's back then and getting back into firearms after a many year hiatus from the sport. Wish I had the intuition to snap one up! Interesting thing you mention about the barrel thickness. I saw a YouTube video showing that. Very cool! Concerning barrel length, it seems as if we are now in an time where short barreled rifles are all the rage. It wasn't that long ago that most new hunting rifles would either have a 24" or 26" barrel. Now, finding a new hunting rifle that has a barrel longer than 22" is becoming a bit of a white rhino! I even see many new bolt rifles with 16" and 18" barrels in popular hunting calibers on the shelves at local gun stores. Not sure I like this trend of short barreled rifles. Old school shooting philosophy says the shorter the barrel, the less accurate the rifle will be at longer ranges.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:18 am 

well, I think simply not that many of them got imported to begin with
you must be talking about this video:
https://youtu.be/SUWldh-NPZA
his is a square back mine is slanted

Yes the CQB tacticool crowd and the various marketing departments are all about short barrels now
To me a 16.5" 54R barrel is an abomination just like a 20" 30-06
I know all about the fireballs after shooting several cans of 54R from M-44s
It's good for impressing children at the range and annoying the old geezers
but the bottom line is you don't get anything practical just a fireworks show
Yes the Cossaks liked it while on horseback.
People who say 23 inch barrels don't point quickly enough are usually the same ones complaining about recoil from 5.56 :roll:
At least with an m-44 you get a very quick deploying effective bayonet good for pig hunting or defending from zombie hordes LOL
20" 54R is really a compromise so I also cringe when I see the relatively "short" barrel on the Hunter Vepr in54R that I'd also like to have one day

Short barrels became more in vouge with popularity of suppressors where the suppressor replaces the lost length and it all works out in the end
because suppressed is not so much about high velocity as it is about heavier bullets and less sound so somehow part of that got lost in translation for the tacticool operator wannabe.
Besides some calibers were simply never meant to be suppressed
another sign of this confusion is the marketing popularity of 300BLK and people bragging about using it out to 600yards...
Facepalm
Oh, it "hit's hard" they say
well, yeah, in the first 200 yards it does as compared to 5.56 but what about after that ?
Dude, you've played too many video games !!

In all fairness the barrel length alone is not the only factor in accuracy but it sure as hell IS when it comes to velocity
I'll take the velocity, thank you very much and leave the short barrels for the calibers where it actually makes sense
There's a reason why russians never really suppressed the AK and instead came out with the Vintorez and the heavy 9mm bullet specifically for that purpose

Look at what marketing did to the 270 caliber
every 270Win rifle you can get is 24 inches or less while every 270WSM is over 26
with the same length there just wouldn't be enough difference to justify the "upgrade"

I've read numerous threads on various forums where people always agonize over which barrel length to choose for the vepr and the argument of barrel whip always comes to forefront likely mostly carried over from the days of easy availability of the PSL
That rifle had it's own set of issues not necessarily related to the vepr
so many people think they'll compromise with the 23" not realizing that the 27 is much thicker
It might not be a bad idea to get the 27 for the thickness and cut it down if you can't deal with the length
Barrel harmonics are an interesting subject, who knows what the optimum length would be for accuaracy of that...
I'd like to play with an adjustable device similar to one used on the mini14 which kills the bad barrel harmonics or something like Browning's adjustable Boss which kind of has the same effect...

I'm hearing rumors that someone in the US will be milling an SVD receiver soon so at least we'll have that going for us, which is nice.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:29 am 

oh, there's a white rhino 27" in 54R available on gunbroker now...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Item/617867645

treat yourself for X-mas...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:47 am 

There is a 27" Vepr 54r on Gunbroker now. Wish I had money to buy it!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/757058726