THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:39 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:37 am 

Hi again, found no solace in google searches, so figure i would post here and ask vepr owners and experts.

pics are below on an imgur link. Please let me know if this wear appears to be normal. I can take better, professional shots later if requested. Loaned my DSLRs out. It it appears abnormal, absolutely let me know. I am new to the AK/RPK platform.

I have exactly 357 rounds through this 54r vepr. I never fully inspected the bolt or bolt carrier much before tonight, even when lightly filing 3rd lug for 10rd mags. I also filed down some of the innards of the 5 mags themselves, which solved all my feed/jam issues along with bolt filing modification. Yes, even factory mags misfed or jammed. lots of flashing and very tight and sharp rimguides caused mag lockups, worst of the mag issues were with factory mags, one SGM 10rd mag fed perfectly before i modified the mags or the 3rd bolt lug. i basically smoothed out or removed flashing/casting lines, and all is well.

I used aluminum dummy rounds to test for jams/snags/misfeeds first, then safely with live rounds, aimed downrange, at my range/soft berm, only after i had confirmed all issues taken care of.

100 rds of ppu 150gr SPBT, jams on all magazines except 1 sgm mag
120 rds of wolf poly 203gr SP jams on all but the same, good 10 rd sgm mag that didnt jam before
-At this point, i filed down the 3rd bolt lug about 1/2 of what others did
-i also filed down some of the top inner guides on the 3 sgm mags and any extra flashing
30 rds of wolf poly 203gr SP fired fine out of all 3 sgm mags
10 rds, 5 each, through both factory mags, misfed/mags jammed internally
-at this point i filed down same innard areas of factory mags and ensured they did not snag when loaded
-tested again with dummy rounds, no more mag jams or low feeds
20 rounds though factory mags (2x10), 5 each per mag of both 150gr PPU SPBT and Wolf poly 203gr SP, all good
30 rounds through sgm mags Wolf 203Gr SP, all good

47 rounds through sgm 10rd and factory 5rd mags, this time mixed. 150gr ppu SP BT, 203gr Wolf poly 203gr, and sellier & bellot 185gr brass SP. Each mag got a mix of all 3 types of ammo. ZERO issues.

I plan to put another 150 rounds of 185gr steel fmj ammo through it this monday, 30 rounds through each 10 rd sgm mag, and 30 through each factory 5rd mag to be sure of the light filing work i did on both the mags, and also the 3rd bolt lug, but am unsure about the wear i am seeing.

I dont known enough about this platform to continue safely, and i appreciate the help or input. I dont THINK its a problem, but id rather hear from experts and other users. Feel free to ask for any pics of specific areas or angles. Again i loaned out my pro cameras out to a buddy, if anyone wants specific pics ill provide them with micrometer shown as well.

THANKS!

54R Vep4 bolt wear after 357 rds https://imgur.com/gallery/GsxGJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:38 am 

Unless I'm missing it, don't see anything too unusual. Run it and keep an eye on any spots you have concerns about. If they get worse, post back with more pics.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:06 am 

Looks fine to me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:51 pm 

I don't see anything too unusual either.

And it seems you solved your jam issues. Sorry to hear you had issues with the factory mags - that is surprising to hear. I was going to suggest running some FMJ through it to see how they do since you only ran SPs. SPs can sometimes be part of the feeding issue with their rounded noses. But I see you already plan to run FMJ. Please keep us posted on how they do.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:18 am 

Thanks guys, paranoid i guess, rather have experienced eyes check it out.

I have also swapped out my firing pin, extractor, and trigger for a Dinzag Tapco G2 since last firing.

HUGE difference in accuracy as thr Dinzag G2 is SMOOTH and predictable, not gritty and creepy.

I put 60 rds of steel FMJ 185gr through it, 10 each through SGM mags, and 15 each through factory 5rd mags.

ZERO issues.

BorisBadenov wrote:
I don't see anything too unusual either.

And it seems you solved your jam issues. Sorry to hear you had issues with the factory mags - that is surprising to hear. I was going to suggest running some FMJ through it to see how they do since you only ran SPs. SPs can sometimes be part of the feeding issue with their rounded noses. But I see you already plan to run FMJ. Please keep us posted on how they do.

...Yeah, it is odd, no one else has. Mostly fixed by removing flashing, rounding sharp edges in the follower, filing off 0.3mm of material from mags where they snagged, and filing down sharp edges of top of rim guides inside both factory mags to smooth transitions.

Zero issues with all mags now. No jams, FTF/FTE, nothing but perfect.

Also using a newer developed generation of lubricant i've been working on for about 5 years; smooth as silk, stays in place, sacrificial compounds and does not burn or gum up.

Works better than any other lubes in my AR-15, no need to run it wet.

Made the Vepr feel silky smooth. I will shoot 20 rounds each of 7 types of mixed ammo again, light ball, steel, fmj, heavy ball, soft point, brass. I have no doubt it will fire every time now.

Also, WILDLY impressed with the accuracy; my only 2 fliers i knew i flinched upon firing. Trigger allowed me to confidently aim freehand and squeeze trigger knowing exactly when it was going to go bang, and where it was going. I have great eyes, and spent a lot of time perfecting the scope zero.

Managed to hit 2 bowling pins in a row, at just about 200 yards, fun watching them blow apart once the scope settled enough to confirm hit.

Rangefinder coming, and will use som Hornady match to see what i can pull off with it at 200 meters, irons vs PSO-2 6x, and then against my twin mint matching Mosin PU Sniper rifles.

TOTALLY worth the time, effort, money, and work.

Thanks for the input, i film professionally, i will make a point to film a professional comparo of mosin sniper vs vepr come springtime when weather wont ruin my gear.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:47 am 

get CSSPECS 10 rounds magazines. They really good

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:34 pm 

Your bolt wear appears perfectly normal
Mine has slightly more wear because of higher round count but there's still absolutely nothing alarming or unusual about it.

having said that it would be nice to have a source for a spare and preferably one that has not been fitted yet for head-spacing to particular rifle.
is anybody here aware of existence of available technical blueprints/drawings of the 54R bolt for possible custom manufacture in the US by qualified machine shop ?