THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Finally got my 54r VEPR
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:18 am 

It took some doing, since they are illegal in NY because of the thumbhole stock.

What I did was contact my FFL, told them I wanted one, and how it could be made legal so I could take possession. They agreed to help me, and signed off on my alteration.

I ordered a spare stock set from Shore Tactical for $29 (how can you beat that?), filled in the thumbhole with a block of wood epoxied and nailed in place, and then covered that with JB Weld.

It's sad that I had to even do this in the first place. The NY SAFE Act is a joke.

Now that I legally own the rifle, I can paint the "thumbhole" to match, or cover it with velco and attach some patches to it, or whatever else I can think of.

I still have the original stock set, so I can return it to it's former glory when I move out of this hellhole of a state. In the meantime, I will enjoy the hell out of it as much as I can. I see optics in my future. :D

Some pics of the "NY SAFE" Vepr.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:52 pm 

Congrats on the new rifle.

Oh the crazy things we have to do to comply with ridiculous laws.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:18 pm 

Dremel the muzzle cap off and put a brake on her. The 20" Veprs are niiiiice.Congrats

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:19 pm 

Nice rifle.
I'm sure your fellow New Yorkians feel much safer now that you thumb has nowhere to go. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:40 pm 

Commie Mike wrote:
Dremel the muzzle cap off and put a brake on her. The 20" Veprs are niiiiice.Congrats

Can't do that in NY. It would be illegal again. I'm not allowed even one "evil" feature.

bob in st. louis wrote:
Nice rifle.
I'm sure your fellow New Yorkians feel much safer now that you thumb has nowhere to go. :roll:

The whole point of the NY SAFE Act was to keep "assault weapons" out of the state. Getting this rifle legally just illustrates the absurdity of this law. Cuomo is an asshat. :lol:

The original stock sure is nice compared to the replacement. Sure glad I didn't just modify the original. (Though I would still love to upgrade to an Ironwood Design stock when I move out of state.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:43 pm 

Wait, can you be in "constructive possession" in The People's Republic of New York?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:33 am 

That original stock is pretty, and scary. :o

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:51 am 

Mr_Gixxer wrote:
Wait, can you be in "constructive possession" in The People's Republic of New York?

It's just parts as long as it isn't on the rifle. I can own a pistol grip, a muzzle brake, a flash hider, and a thumbhole stock as long as I don't install any one of those parts on a semi-auto rifle that has a detachable magazine.

I can own an SKS with the stock fixed magazine, and I can put it in a Hogue stock, and add all of the above parts, and it is perfectly legal. I can own any semi-auto rifle such as an AR-15 or AKM and put all those evil parts on it, and as long as it has a fixed magazine, it is perfectly legal.

The other option would have been to register your "assault rifle" within the grace period, and then you can hopefully keep it until you die. After that, the State confiscates it, as it can not be passed on to your heirs. Obviously, this is not an option for me, as the grace period has passed. It will be a cold day in hell before I register a rifle anyway.

Last edited by WWW on Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:53 am 

hilljack wrote:
That original stock is pretty, and scary. :o

I should take it to the range along with my modified VEPR, and dual wield.

Look at my "ghost gun"! lmao....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:48 am 

WWW wrote:
....... hopefully keep it until you die. After that, the State confiscates it, as it can not be passed on to your heirs......

Uhhh....For a minute there, I thought you were talking about the US of A. :?