THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Zastava Vepr 762 x 54
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:51 pm 

I am having a accuracy issue on my Zastava Vepr. It is chambered in 762 x 54R. When I purchased the rifle it came with two scopes. The first scope is some kind of off brand that I cant remember. I would get the rifle Zero @ 100 and she would just wing them all over at 300. They would all hit high. I though it was walk from barrel heat. I tried a rate of fire at 5 rounds in 5 minutes. No improvement. The rifle will Zero at time but does not hold. So I changed scopes. I am using a second scope with no improvement. (the first scope I put on a 30-06 98 Mauser I built and I can hit golf balls at 100 yards from a bench 10/10).

Everything seems tight in the scope mount and the barrel looks fine. I am using 147 grain light ball. The ammo just came out of a sealed flat can. At times I can get 1-2" groups at 100 yards I just cant keep a zero. The weapon still has military trigger pull.

I know how to shoot and build on 98 mausers. I can not hit a standard size sheet of paper at 350 yards tapped to a barrel with my Vepr. I am not letting the barrel get hot. I can Zero @ 100 and then send a round down the range and not hit any thing.

From what I read these rifles are more accurate than what mine is.

Any advise I hope someone with more experience in here can help

Thanks,

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:52 pm 

I have a Molot Vepr in 7.62x54R, and with surplus light ball (mid-eighties Soviet), it's only good to about 2.5 MOA. I've got some commercial heavy ball, and light round-nosed soft-points coming, and I'm hoping for tighter groups with commercial ammo.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:43 am 

JUSTIN: What kinda scopes are you using? 54rs are blasters and are known to blow up certain scopes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:55 am 

I feel gun blessed. The 54rs I have shot were very accurate. I always used Silvertip Boat tail. Trigger refinement or a refined G2 will help immensely.I always made mine hair triggers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:24 am 

Zastava Vepr?

Have you tried shooting it with the iron sights? Maybe try it and see if it is more consistent.

What mount are you using? Two scopes, same problem. Was the same mount used for both scope? Could be the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:37 am 

Ok there is no Zastava Vepr, there is Zastava M91 rifle that chambers in 54R. Is that what you mean?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:45 pm 

+1 on the zavasta? vepr. As far as I know veprs have always been manufactured by MOLOT. They have heavier receivers and barrels and a reinforced trunnion which is why they are generally more accurate than most AK's. But accuracy and AK's don't usually go together. Many reasons listed in many previous threads on this forum.
I got lucky and both my 308 and my x39 are spot on but many others haven't had the same results.
I recommend doing some searches on this forum under range reports, accuracy, scopes, MOA etc and I think just about all reasons, solutions and ideas have been thoroughly discussed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:17 pm 

As russianmaksim asked... are you referring to the Zastava M91 in 54R? All Veprs are made by Molot in Russia, not Zastava in Serbia.

The Zastava M91 is basically a Serbian version of the Romanian PSL, so I could see how that might be not as accurate as you desire. (And if you have one - how'd you get it? I want one!)

If you do have a Vepr (made by Molot), then I would look at the quality of scopes and scope mounts you are using as also mentioned above. Vepr 54Rs are harsh on optics so you want a robust set-up to withstand the recoil.

Share some pics too! We love pics. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:24 pm 

Spam can light ball surplus isn't all that accurate either. I think someone earlier stated 2.5 MOA but I'd probably go 3-4MOA (or what a friend of mine calls minute of Nazi -- it is good enough to hit a man sized target at 100 yards). The steel core in the light ball surplus might not always be centered. This causes all types of issues and is one of the reasoning green tip 62 grain 5.56 isn't very accurate as well. I've had much better luck with stuff in the 170s with some of the best being PPUs Match ammo (and it isn't terribly pricey either). I really chased my tail trying to zero my Vepr with spam can ammo. I've now taken it out to 200 yards with 170gr pills with pretty good results. I'm looking forward to going a bit further some day.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:38 pm 

WOW I am going to post a massive reply. Thanks for the input.

PRegner. I am going to try different ammunition in the rifle. I ordered reloading dies and brass.

MIke the first scope I took off was some generic thing with no name on it. That scope is working fine on my 98 muaser. The second scope is a Simmons.
The rifle does feel like it has a long and hard trigger pull. I am new with this kind of rifle so I do not know how to work on it.

Hilljack & Borris. Well.. Looking at the rifle now it is marked VEPR 7.62 X 54R on the right side. Left Side is MOLOT-ORUZHIE LTD Russia VYATSKIE POLYANY. I do not know where I got Zastava. The mount is a UTG MNT-978 side style. It feels tight. Yes the same mount for both scopes.

Russianmaksim. Now that I have read every thing I am looking at the rifle more. There is no model number on it just the markings I posted above. The tang of receiver is flat. Not angled.

Chilort. Thanks I did not know that about the ammunition. Yes you are correct I am 3-4 MOA at 100 yards and chasing my tail