THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Scope Options
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:21 pm 

Being my first post I tried to read many pages in to this forum to make sure I'm not re-posting a question, but I did not find my answer. I have the SVD style 54R from Atlantic and I'm working on finding a good scope option for it. I currently have a PSOP 6x42 I got with the intention of keeping the rifle semi-Soviet looking. I'm having a bear getting the scope zeroed, beyond the usual difficulty of Russian (or Belarussian) hardware and I'm about to move on and find a new option. I plan on eventually getting a Midwest or RS regulate mount and wanted to see what scopes people are having good performance with on the platform? Being a big primary arms fan, my logical choice is the primary arms 4-14x44 for the cost per performance. Are there other hidden gems out there?

Post subject: Re: Scope Options
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:39 pm 

What kind of issues are you having with your POSP? I'm using an 8x42 POSP (from Kalinka optics) made in Belarus, and it's been great. It zero'ed easily, holds it's zero even when removed and installed repeatedly, and has survived an out-of-battery detonation that occured last month. Sure, the Dragunov style reticle takes a little getting used to, but if approached with the knowledge that the platform (rifle and scope) was intended as a squad sharp-shooter, and not a precision sniper, it's perfect. I'm able to achieve 2MOA with mine using surplus ammunition. I've got some commercially produced "match" ammo coming soon, that I'm hoping will get me into 1MOA accuracy.

All of that aside, I'm partial to Vortex optics on my other platforms. They're well made, and quite affordable for the quality that you get. Their warranty is excellent as well. I've got a 1-4x28 Viper PST on my LR308 that has been superb.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:06 pm 

yes, what is the problem with zeroing?

I've kind of settled on this here rig:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:00 pm 

RS regulate is decent, but not a good value unless you use red dots. You would also need to stake the two parts together.

Midwest mount is cheaper and even more rock-solid. But even with that 54r will cause a lot of vibration and movement in the mount/optic so your rings and scope need to be rock solid too.

I'm using a Vortex 4-18x optic on Leupold 1inch low profile rings on a midwest mount. I don't have a high enough round count yet to see if it will hold zero but so far so good, only 40 rounds in on the set

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:36 pm 

My problem with zeroing the PSOP is the factory zero. It took me forever to get it on paper since at 25 yards it was hitting about 5 feet right and 3 feet low. By adjust windage and elevation to the max and also cheating with the reticle I could get it on paper. I read the translated/additional instructions on the .pdf from Kalinka (I bought mine from Eastweave's Ebay) and discovered the method for setting a new zero with the knobs by loosening the silver screws and moving only the lower half of the turret knobs. Even then, the range is not infinite, you seem to hit the end of a spring or something at about 1.5 rotations and cannot go any further. With elevation rotated all the way to the max possible, I am at zero or 1 click away at least, but windage is still not even close. With the windage silver knob reset to it's max zero(the 1.5 rotations) and the combined windage knob to adjusted maximum left, I still hit 6 inches to the right.

I could easily fix this if the knobs adjusted infinitely after you unscrewed the silver screws to adjust the settings, but like I said they hit a wall at 1.5 rotations and cannot be adjusted further.

How often do you have to re-zero with a Midwest mount, due to vibration?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:16 pm 

ya, if you run out of adjustment room while the screws are loose..(and you're sure you're doing it right).... you can either try another mount or some rig-shimming... I'd say go for another mount.

I've encountered crooked rails, crooked sellers, and scopes that won't zero same as you....now I have a huge collection of pso/psop scopes to throw at any rifle...lol... crooked sellers.

I hope you can figure it out!

b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:09 pm 

Ubarad wrote:
My problem with zeroing the PSOP is the factory zero. It took me forever to get it on paper since at 25 yards it was hitting about 5 feet right and 3 feet low. By adjust windage and elevation to the max and also cheating with the reticle I could get it on paper. I read the translated/additional instructions on the .pdf from Kalinka (I bought mine from Eastweave's Ebay) and discovered the method for setting a new zero with the knobs by loosening the silver screws and moving only the lower half of the turret knobs. Even then, the range is not infinite, you seem to hit the end of a spring or something at about 1.5 rotations and cannot go any further. With elevation rotated all the way to the max possible, I am at zero or 1 click away at least, but windage is still not even close. With the windage silver knob reset to it's max zero(the 1.5 rotations) and the combined windage knob to adjusted maximum left, I still hit 6 inches to the right.

I could easily fix this if the knobs adjusted infinitely after you unscrewed the silver screws to adjust the settings, but like I said they hit a wall at 1.5 rotations and cannot be adjusted further.

How often do you have to re-zero with a Midwest mount, due to vibration?

You need to restore your knobs to zero, and get yourself on paper using the adjustments built into the mount. There are a total of six screws that can be loosened, allowing the actual optic to be correctly aligned with the bore of the rifle. Also, check your tension on the cam that secures the mount on the side rail. Sometimes the mount will feel secure, but will move under recoil.

Unless somebody sold you a damaged scope, I have a hard time believing the POSP is off that much. I had to put one click of windage on mine, and two clicks of elevation to get point of aim and point of impact to align. Additionally, it shot an exemplary "box test".

Good luck, and I hope you get it sorted out soon.