THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:21 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:46 am 

Last edited by Booger on Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:22 am 

Welcome to the forums and being a VEPR owner!

I too like the look of the factory wood furniture.

Bipod placement.... Many theories and preferences on this topic. Some prefer to avoid barrel or handguard mounting and mount to the receiver so the bipod doesn't interfer with barrel resonance. Others prefer the stability of a barrel mounted bipod (or getting as close to the muzzle as possible), and others prefer something in the middle being on the handguard because it's easier to attach there and gives decent stability.

Check out the technical section of the forum, there is a thread about bipods, placement and etc: http://vepr.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2539.

I went with receiver mounted, but it's more than $100. And again, it's all about preference and you as a shooter. If $100 is your budget, it's probably easiest and cheapest to drill and mount your bipod to the wood handguard.

Here's mine (because pics are fun)....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:42 pm 

Last edited by Booger on Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:11 pm 

Booger wrote:
Thanks Boris for the warm welcome. as for my budget I'm willing to spend what ever it takes. Ive been looking at carbon fiber bipods I think I'm O.K. finding a bipod. Just need help with placement. How do you make standing shoots with that bipod does it fold up if so how do you grip the rifle. I'm looking at installing my bipob at the far end where the sling nut is. Just hope that works out.

Yes, my bipod folds up (pic below) and I can free stand shoot using the handguard or holding onto the mag like Russian infantry do occasionally with their SVDs as seen in many photos around the net. There's enough room behind the mounting block and the mag to put my fingers and knuckles.

Installing on the factory sling nut area is where most do and you should do well with that. To warn you, the thread pitch on that sling screw is a very odd metric size (it's Russian!) and there are no current aftermarket sling stud screws that can replace it. It also holds the handguard to the barrel. So you may have to do some modifications to it (search through the thread I sent you and others in the tech section to find out how and what's involved) or you may have to move your bipod towards the receiver a bit and fasten it to the wood yourself (which will be far easier).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:01 pm 

Last edited by Booger on Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:43 am 

Here's what I did. Mine folds forward and backward.

ImageDSC00572