THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: New to the VEPR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:34 pm 

VEPR27 wrote:
Hello all!

I've been considering getting my first VEPR. I saw some on Atlantic Firearms https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/compon ... l?Itemid=0

It looks like a solid built rifle, are they picky about what ammo they like to eat? Should I consider one of the other rifles over this one?

As far as conversions, is there anything that needs to be done to bring the rifle up to par? I know Saiga rifles have to be converted, but the VEPR almost looks good to go.

Anyone know when or if we'll ever see more 7.62x39 VEPRs?

Thanks!

Unless you also have Mosins and a ton of 54r ammo, get the 308 Vepr in whatever barrel length suites your needs. I have both the 54r and 308 Veprs. Unless you are nostalgic for the 54r cartridge, you will thank me. 308 can do anything a 54r can, and cheap Russian 308 is cheaper than non corrosive Russian 54r anyways. Easier to load, feed, and better mags.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:12 pm 

I think you should have both. I know they are not banned, but very hard to come by of 308. 54R more available at this point. Once csspecs make good magazines, I think people will start buying them rather quick. I would get 308 first, they harder to come by

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:02 am 

Sirex wrote:
VEPR27 wrote:
Hello all!

I've been considering getting my first VEPR. I saw some on Atlantic Firearms https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/compon ... l?Itemid=0

It looks like a solid built rifle, are they picky about what ammo they like to eat? Should I consider one of the other rifles over this one?

As far as conversions, is there anything that needs to be done to bring the rifle up to par? I know Saiga rifles have to be converted, but the VEPR almost looks good to go.

Thanks!

Unless you also have Mosins and a ton of 54r ammo, get the 308 Vepr in whatever barrel length suites your needs. I have both the 54r and 308 Veprs. Unless you are nostalgic for the 54r cartridge, you will thank me. 308 can do anything a 54r can, and cheap Russian 308 is cheaper than non corrosive Russian 54r anyways. Easier to load, feed, and better mags.

I think I will go for the .308 then, I'm just having trouble finding one new. What I don't get is if these guns aren't banned, why on earth are they so hard to find? There's 54R for sale like there's no tomorrow, but anything .308 or 7.62x39, zip, ziltch, nada! Maybe there's a new shipment sitting in customs?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:49 am 

VEPR27 wrote:
I think I will go for the .308 then, I'm just having trouble finding one new. What I don't get is if these guns aren't banned, why on earth are they so hard to find? There's 54R for sale like there's no tomorrow, but anything .308 or 7.62x39, zip, ziltch, nada! Maybe there's a new shipment sitting in customs?

Russia and its factories are a little busy with some fighting. I am sure they are a little more focused on other needs than supplying our hobbies. We are probably not high on their export list. ....just speculating.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:36 pm 

from what I heard from Atlantic Firearms, that there should be some shipments of 7.62x39 in 2016. The problems is going through customs. will see.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:03 am 

VEPR27 wrote:
Sirex wrote:
VEPR27 wrote:
Hello all!

Thanks!

https://www.k-var.com/shop/VPR-WPA-V-308-20.html

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:06 am 

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=vepr+308

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:52 pm 

Just ordered VEPR 54R 23 inch barrel. Should be in this week, then the mandatory 10 day wait in CA. Meanwhile I just have to shoot my Mosin's.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:23 am 

Squidder K wrote:
Just ordered VEPR 54R 23 inch barrel. Should be in this week, then the mandatory 10 day wait in CA. Meanwhile I just have to shoot my Mosin's.

I just took delivery of my first Vepr 54r a couple of weeks ago. I got the 20" barrel flavor, and couldn't be happier. The quality of materials and machining are better than I was expecting, and I seemed to luck out on the stock as well; it's some pretty nice walnut. Now I'm just waiting for the nice people at CSSpecs to go to production on their magazines for the platform.