THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:03 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:18 pm 

Okay this little B$%6&#d swivel head screw is kicking my butt. I've read most if not all of the threads here and everywhere that I can find on this subject. I would like to install the UTG OP-2 on my VEPR via the little attachment kit that comes with the bipod. It looks like a decent bipod for the bucks. Since there doesn't seem to be any alternative parts with the same threads to substitute for that part I'm pretty much left with the option of attaching the mount directly to the wood forearm. I would accomplish this by drilling and either wood screwing or thru bolting the mount to the forearm. :(

What I would like to know is 1) if anyone here has successfully installed one this way and 2) were you happy with the outcome after using the rifle for a while? I'm wondering if the wood is strong enough to stay intact over the long haul.

I would also be open to any other suggestions for installation with this rig but I'm not interested in re-tapping the existing screw hole or drilling the receiver or any other lifetime project requiring full access to a machine shop/ welding shop/gunsmith, or voodoo priest. :roll:

If it's not feasible I'll just send the bipod back and live without it or use a cheapo plastic spring loaded ten buck one. :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:45 pm 

I put a Harris bi-pod and it fit the swell just fine.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:39 pm 

Thanks Waldo. I already have a UTG Bi-pod. I just need to make it work.....or not. Does the Harris mount to the sling swivel? In looking at the way the OEM part is designed there really isn't much for the bi-pod to grab on to since the screw runs through the swivel head and blocks most of the channel. I don't think I would trust that kind of install from a durability standpoint.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:39 am 

Turn the swivel down so it fits the bi-pod. I wouldn't modify the wood if it was me.

I posted somewhere exactly what I did, but I used the factory screw/stud and put one of my bi pods on that I stocked.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:16 am 

smileysarmory wrote:
Turn the swivel down so it fits the bi-pod. I wouldn't modify the wood if it was me.

I posted somewhere exactly what I did, but I used the factory screw/stud and put one of my bi pods on that I stocked.

I'm not sure what you mean by turn the swivel down. It only fits two ways. The way it was installed at Molot or flip it over, in which case there's an open slot with nothing for the mount to grab to. What kind of interface did your bi-pod have?

If you can send me that link I would appreciate it very much. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:47 pm 

The Harris bi-pod fit the swivel that the sling attaches to just fine. The Harris bi-pod has a sling attachment incorporated on the mount. I didn't have to do anything else. They do make a kit to attached to a rail but that means attaching it to the wood.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:19 pm 

I highly recommend to get Chaos Vepr 12 quadrail, it will allow you to put harris bipod or other bipods.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:24 pm 

russianmaksim wrote:
I highly recommend to get Carolina firearms quadrail or Kreb defense quad rail, it will allow you to put harris bipod or other bipods.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:29 pm 

russianmaksim wrote:
I highly recommend to get Chaos Vepr 12 quadrail, it will allow you to put harris bipod or other bipods.

Thanks for the suggestion but like the wood stock that came with the rifle. That's one reason I bought it. Also, if I start changing stock parts then I start running into 922R issues, no?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:55 pm 

there are options without changing stock for ak47 might work, if you use Russian bipods