THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:59 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:52 am 

Nice work. I've tried silver tip, which isn't so great and a little of the 200 grain corrosive primed Russian match without too much luck either. I want to try out more of the 200 gr stuff. The Yugoslav stuff in the 170gr range wasn't too bad for me. I'll have to get out my calipers. I've only been looking at slug weight so far.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:01 am 

I built a 500 yard range at my house i can hit a paper plate 9 out of ten times with out trying. At my buds house we have a 1300 yard rang set up never shot past 1000 on my best of days with Winchester 180 gr ammo with my scope i can hit the 10 inch gong about 19 times out of the box. So its possible you have to find ammo she likes and practice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:50 pm 

i love my 54r vepr.

that said...

for 1000 yards you want a sub moa gun, the vepr is not it. with match ammo you can expect just under 2 moa. handloads is an expensive proposition with the vepr as it mangles brass.

for the 54r vepr, 600 yards is about the upper limit. really not bad for a semiauto. just about everything on the VEPR will frustrate you for long range. the scope mount, the gas system, mounting bipod, etc. doing 1000 yards with an accurized mosin is hard enough. doing 1000 yards with any 54r vepr, ever? unlikely.

for 1000 yards you want a precision bolt gun or match rifle in 308.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:42 am 

The online testing I have seen of these rifles, equate these to about 1.5-2 MOA. That is roughly what a Mosin sniper rifle averages, from what I have read. I have seen a few videos online of guys shooting Mosins 1000 yds. Is it possible? Sure. Is it likely? Not without a lot of practice, and good ammo. But, I know I couldn't do it. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:39 pm 

This is the VEPR I will be using to try to get out there. we shall see...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:37 am 

tosborn82 wrote:
This is the VEPR I will be using to try to get out there. we shall see...

That's a long barrel you got there and your bipod is the fulcrum...right in the center.
Keep in mind that the farther from the front of the barrel the bipod is located, the more exaggerated the movement of the front is....it's like a see saw.
Any movement of the stock from the bipod back is roughly equal to the barrel from the bipod forward.
I think your best bet to attempt accuracy at a 1000 would be to get the bipod mounted as far forward as you can.
Just my opinion.

Last edited by ozzie on Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:07 am 

the last thing you want to do is mount any thing on the barrel. Its bad enough with the gas tube and hand grip. Try to mount it as far back as you can and us a sand bag under the stock. Squeeze the the sand bag more and less to lower and raise the point of aim. I would also use a sand bag in the front rather than a bi pod. Some times you only can carry one though.