THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:11 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ultimak Options
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:25 pm 

I've searched on several occasions but never found a definitive answer for which Ultimak gas tube would/could fit on a 54r. I've seen both the lower handguard and the gas tube on only one before but the owner didn't say which model. Would the standard AK Ultimak gas tube fit or would I need the Vepr II / Vepr K model? I own one of the standard "tactical sniper 23 inch" models purchased from Atlantic Firearms. I don't plan on mounting an optic on it, just purely cosmetic. Thanks for any advice!

Post subject: Re: Ultimak Options
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:09 pm 

I'll bump this bc I have the same question. Wondering if the Ultimak VEPR tube/rail will fit under the stock wooden hanguard without modification. I doubt it will...those wood hanguards seem really snug all around.

I haven't found it worthwhile to convert my 54r yet, but the ultimak would let me try out a reflex/flashlight setup while allegedly upgrading accuracy by floating the gas tube. Probably looking at an x39 or SLR down the line for all my fighting rifle upgrades, but for now the VEPR in original configuration with a POSP x4 is what I'm working with. The catch 22 is that I want to make 922r compliance with the ability to use OEM mags and furniture when I please. And I enjoy having the original, quality made Russian guts inside the rifle. Too bad you can't just pop that thread cap off and put on a flash hider without having to change the whole setup. For now, NYET COMRADE, MIGHTY VEPR IS FINE!

Post subject: Re: Ultimak Options
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:34 am 

Apparently people are using the VEPR specific M3B model, of which I have now seen examples on multiple calibers. As stated by Ultimak, the original forends will require modification, ala:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2692&p=20817&hilit=ultimak#p20726
...which answers my question.