THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:07 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:39 pm 

On a Vepr, would the scope from a PSL work ok? My Google research indicates there are two types of scope mounts , a SVD and AK mount. I know the Vepr has an AK mount. Not sure about the PSL, but as the PSL is an enlarged AK, I assume the AK mount? Attached is a pic of the scope potentially going on rifle. All info I was given was it was off a PSL. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:49 pm 

That is an SVD mount and PSLs come with SVD rails. And yes, VEPRs come with AK rails. So this won't quite work without some finagling and modifications. Some options would be to just buy an AK mount POSP/PSO ( or other AK mount/scope combo) or buy an SVD rail and put it on your VEPR.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:30 pm 

Thank you very much. Is there anywhere where there is a side by side comparison of the scope mounts and views? I want to get the correct one that will fit the Vepr without any problems, and have the correct range and bullet drop for 7.62x54r. I was looking on Kalinka optics, but it says for AK47, AK74, SVD, NDM, and SKS, which all have different cartridges. Looking for a good 4x or 6x POSP. Thanks for any help. Google is an overload of info here, and is adding to the confusion.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:52 am 

I put a PSL scope similar to that one on my 54R by replacing the bottom rail on the scope with one of these:
http://kalinkaoptics.com/posp-ak-bottom-mount-w-black-finish-for-posp-scopes-hot-swappable.html

The screw holes didn't line up perfectly, but after ovaling a couple (the vertical ones, IIRC) out very slightly with a dremel it went on fine and solid as a rock.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:54 am 

Sirex wrote:
Thank you very much. Is there anywhere where there is a side by side comparison of the scope mounts and views? I want to get the correct one that will fit the Vepr without any problems, and have the correct range and bullet drop for 7.62x54r. I was looking on Kalinka optics, but it says for AK47, AK74, SVD, NDM, and SKS, which all have different cartridges. Looking for a good 4x or 6x POSP. Thanks for any help. Google is an overload of info here, and is adding to the confusion.

Not sure where you're looking at on Kalinka, but select the "AK, VEPR, SAIGA, SLR" link for Scope/mount or whichever product you are looking for. There are "universal" mounts and rails out there too, maybe that's what you were looking at?

Anyway, 4x PSO or 6x POSP at Kalinka are here: http://kalinkaoptics.com/rifle-scopes/posp/ak-vepr-saiga-slr.html.

But I also highly recommend Eastwave. Great customer service, has more products, and if a product isn't in stock, they can order it for you (Kalinka won't do that). Check Eastwave's rifle scopes here: http://www.eastwavescope.com/index.php?gr_2=14&gr_1=8&lang=en

For the scope, you want the 1000m Dragunov reticle - that is designed for the 7.62x54R round and its bullet drop. (The Simonov 400m reticle is for the 7.62x39 round.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:12 pm 

Buy an SVD to go with the SVD scope? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:27 pm 

I don't know if you've already made your purchase, but I was in a similar situation.

Kalinka only had the scope i wanted with the SVD mount.

So, I can confirm for you that swapping out the scope mount with this thing that Sharikov mentioned will work perfectly: http://kalinkaoptics.com/posp-ak-bottom ... pable.html

Incidentally, one detail I didn't see mentioned here: the rail on the 54r vepr will accept *both* SVD and AK scope mounts. That channel in the middle of the VEPR side rail is different from a 'normal' AK side rail.

So, the SVD mount will side on the VEPR rail, no problem.

Unfortunately, on my 8x42 POSP, if I used the SVD mount rather than the AK mount ( http://kalinkaoptics.com/posp-ak-bottom ... pable.html ), the objective lens sat too low on the rifle. I couldn't mount it because the leaf sight was in the way IIRC. I don't know, maybe you can mount it if you take off the leaf sight, but I can't say for sure. Maybe you can mount a scope with a smaller objective lens. I personally prefer the scope to be high enough that I can still use the open sights.

Actually -- lost cosmonaut addresses it here: viewtopic.php?t=496&p=2507