THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:50 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:41 am 

so i was able to score a brand new never fired 54r with 23" barrel and posp 4x24 from a co-worker in a very reasonable deal but Vepr is new territory for me so was hoping to pick the brains of other vepr owners and had a few questions

Buttstock- been looking at ATI's lately but open to suggestions

Trigger and FCG- this is a must swap out, not a fan of how the stock trigger feels, from what I've read most aftermarket require fitting to vepr

Forearm/rail system- no idea on what to do here,was looking at SGM's but it doesn't look like it has the real estate I need open to suggestion

Magazine-Apparently this discussion shouldn't be touched with a 10 foot pole

Muzzle device- Witt Machine brake, sold on this one

Mag release- this need some improving, suggestions?

Safet- already ordered a kerbs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:39 pm 

This list made me think of this: http://www.m1-garand-rifle.com/ivan-chesnokov.php

Anyway, the factory trigger can be cleaned up considerably. There is a nice how-to on this site. Just search for it. I followed it and love the trigger in my Vepr. It is long, but it is a nice 2-stage setup, a nice wall, and a crisp break. It could probably be made even better but I didn't want to go to far. I tried a G2 in my 54r and hated it. The factory trigger, if manipulated correctly, can be used to hold the bolt back as well.

I put a 74 style brake on my Vepr and it is not at all fun to clean. I'll be going with an SRVV brake as soon as I save up my pennies.

That's all the advice I have.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:28 pm 

+1 on the OEM trigger refinement. Shore Tactical has a forearm getting ready to hit the market. They have posted pics on the forum recently. I really like the ATI stocks. I have 5 of them but are the older version. You can find the older style stocks on EBay. The stocks are very comfy and tame the recoil very well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:00 am 

Not as much input as I hoped

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:37 am 

I don't really care for the POSP scopes at all. I use a Midwest Industries QD scope rail and old school optics. I really like the Mueller scopes. I would put them up against alot of the Leupolds.For an AK style rifle it is pointless to over spend on scopes unless you have lots of money to burn. If you want to tack drive you need to buy a Sako. They scream for quality optics. I have a Mueller on my Sako 243.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:41 pm 

Commie Mike wrote:
I don't really care for the POSP scopes at all. I use a Midwest Industries QD scope rail and old school optics. I really like the Mueller scopes. I would put them up against alot of the Leupolds.For an AK style rifle it is pointless to over spend on scopes unless you have lots of money to burn. If you want to tack drive you need to buy a Sako. They scream for quality optics. I have a Mueller on my Sako 243.

How does your Mueller hold up to a 54R or .308? I've read on other forums of people's Mueller Scopes literally falling apart under the recoil. Maybe it's just certain models of Muellers? ....just curious.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:48 pm 

NCfirefighter wrote:
Not as much input as I hoped

Sorry, NCfirefighter... not much I feel like I can comment on. Most of these things should be personal to you. I wanted an SVD clone, I purchased Atlantic's 54R 23" VEPR that was converted with IWD's SVD furniture, a G2 trigger, and tabuk flash hider.

Buttstock - can't help ya. that's all personal to you.

The trigger group... factory can be good if you clean it up and it can be used to hold the bolt open if you want. Otherwise, dropping in a another trigger group will help get you 3 parts toward 922r compliance.

Handguard - again personal to you. I don't particularly care for handguards with rails all over them. But if I wanted a tactical-style handguard, I'd probably go with CSS' vented handguard.

Magazines - only 2 options: Factory 5 rnd, or SGM 10 rnd. Factory mags work great. I have had no issues with the SGM 10rnders (yet), but as you can read in other posts, not all are so lucky.

Muzzle device - ok. This seems personal to you as well, which is fine. But that muzzle device will require you to remove the front sight, which can be done, if you want to go through that trouble just to clamp the device and then you won't be able to use your iron sights. Personally, I like the option of being able to use iron sights in case something goes wrong with the scope. So I would find a screw on muzzle device, personally.

Mag release - I have no issues with mine. What's going on with yours?

Safety - ok, you ordered a Krebs.... which one? And why?

As for the POSP - I know Commie Mike said he doesn't like them, but I love mine. They are built like a tank and work great for these DMRs. And I prefer the Dragunov reticle over mil-dots. Yours came with a POSP so you may not be looking for a new scope, but if you are... I agree with Commie Mike in that you can easily spend too much on a scope for these things - it would be like buying a Lamborghini to go to the grocery store - it'll get you there and back, but it's just wasted extra money. These are not precision rifles so find something solid (to withstand the recoil) and inexpensive to moderately priced.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:00 pm 

BB: Well stated on personal preference.So far so good on my scopes. I'm getting ready to do more testing soon. I sold my 54rs to pay for vet bills. They worked fine on the 16" and 20" version. I have one on my 308 right now. The Mueller on my 7mm magnum has had no problems. Until they fail me I can only say good things about them.People can get dud scopes just like dud guns I guess. I had dud POSP scopes. Lol. I always try to fit my rifles with a cheaper solution to attain the same results. I tried blowing up a Tasco on my 16" 54r. I still have it and it functions fine. I was shooting 1/4" groups at 100 with that setup. I felt blessed to have that kind of accuracy.Im sure the young man I sold it to is having the time of his life. I kept the scope. Ive had good luck with Simmons scopes too. In all honesty, it's really important to research everything before we buy it. Sometimes it's really hard deciding which route to go. We will find bad reviews on everything we buy. I'm sure some of the manure stated in reviews is left by competitors trying to smear.I'm sure alot of the good reviews are from the company's employees. Lol..I cannot imagine what I'd buy if I had the money.When I look at scopes that cost 1k, I think about all the x39, 12 gauge, and 545 I can buy. Like you said, we all have different desires and expectations in our firearms. . I'm just an old fashioned mountain man that enjoys hunting and shooting firearms off his porches...If it's a Sako, treat her like a queen......

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:12 pm 
Business Member

There are some great accessories for these rifles (Vepr 54R is my fav) and we are hard at work trying to product some more custom parts. But most of what your going to choose is seeing something and having that "I want that on my rifle" feeling. It might even take a few tries to find what it is that exactly floats your boat.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:30 am 

NCfirefighter wrote:

Buttstock- been looking at ATI's lately but open to suggestions

Canis has good options if you want an AR style stock.

Trigger and FCG- this is a must swap out, not a fan of how the stock trigger feels, from what I've read most aftermarket require fitting to vepr

Lots of FCG options on the market for AK style firearms, you might to try one that can be modified to allow the most control for accuracy. I am not sure if the ALG FCG has had any fitment issues with VEPRs, but that might be a good choice. A Texas trigger using the modification for FCG posted in the earlier post might be a decent option to.

Forearm/rail system- no idea on what to do here,was looking at SGM's but it doesn't look like it has the real estate I need open to suggestion

SGM rail is decent, but I would look for better options. The grip is just not that comfortable to me, it feels like your holding a rail.

Magazine-Apparently this discussion shouldn't be touched with a 10 foot pole

SGM magazines have been hit or miss, get a couple and see how they work. Mine required a short break in period. They will replace them if there is an issue.

Muzzle device- Witt Machine brake, sold on this one

Mag release- this need some improving, suggestions?

Mag release is fine as, typical function of all AK style firearms.

Safet- already ordered a kerbs