THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: I don't understand.....
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:32 pm 

Why anyone would buy a rifle that it is near impossible to get parts, the magazines are hit and miss and there is no improvement for any of this in the future. The rifle itself is great. Very well built and obviously put together with great care. I have 4 magazines, 2 are the 5 rnd that came with the rifle and 2 SGtactical from Atlantic. None of them feed properly. So, as of now, my rifle is For Sale and all the ammo I have for it. There are too many other shooting platforms around without all of these problems. I know I will catch S*** for this thread and if anyone has some great ideas, I will be willing to change my mind.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:02 pm 

Your rifle is more the exception, than the rule. Most of these rifles run without problems. If you want to sell your rifle, it's up to you.

What ammo have you tried? About how many rounds have you fired through it?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:36 pm 

First I've heard of feeding issues with factory mags. I'd be frustrated as well. I've stayed clear of SGM after getting burned with the Vepr 12 mags. Csspecs solved that, and in time I look for them to do the same with the x54. Given fun, cheap x54, I shoot mine more than my x39 or 5.45 rifles.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:06 pm 

Sorry you're having issues. I'm a relatively new VEPR owner too. Got a 54R first, then a V12, and now a x39. Haven't had any issues with any of them - including all the SGM mags I have for all 3 types.

For my 54R, I have the 2 factory 5rnd mags and 4 of the SGM 10 rounders. All work flawlessly. However, I shoot new ammo and not surplus. But there are MANY others that shoot surplus without issues. Maybe try new ammo? Brown Bear and Wolf can be inexpensive.

I am sure there is just some little thing that needs tweaking/corrected that will solve your issue. Maybe it's how you're loading the mags and you're putting the rim of the round behind the rim on the round under it? That could cause the round not to feed.

Or perhaps call your vendor to get their opinion and if it comes down to it, a refund?

Hate to see ya have to sell just over something that could be simple and easily resolved.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:59 pm 

The CSSpecs mags might be 2-3 weeks waiting for.

I actually agree with most of the OP's points. Sounds like he got a problem gun. The whole appeal of a '54R gun is cheap ammo. I think that is a dwindling commodity. Once that is run out, it is just a 308 with mostly poor quality ammo available. 308 is a ballistic twin with more compact brass that is designed to feed. It is available in a much broader range of type and quality. IMO it wins clearly every time, unless you live in a combloc country.

This is a high quality gun that people paid high dollar for. That should get you good accessories (magazine support) a decent way to mount a bipod without a hassle. Good groups with common ammo. (cheap surplus ain't likely to get that) high quality ammo for '54r has a lot less choices and they cost more than comparable quality ammo in 308.

IMO the m77 gets it right. Cheap gun for medium precision. ditto for PSL a few years back. I like the Veprs, but the 54r is doing a cheap gun's job, but not for cheap.

shotguns, some gunsmithing, reloading, fabrication, knife making, etc.

I'm a firearms/NFA attorney in Wa. Let's combine business, pleasure, and stamps.

http://www.youtube.com/user/armaggedonite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:10 pm 

Agreed
Heavier gage RPK receiver , hammer forged barrel , Why! , Why! , Why? the cheap crap single stack "Airsoft" plastic mags?
I highly suspect the mags are your feed issues and Mass produced corrosively primed lacquer coated ammo made in sweatshops are not exactly problem free shooting
I keep half a truckload of spam can ammo in storage while I shoot boxer primed PPU and AoA ammo at the range , you can guess what I do with the brass
The AK system is one of the most reliable gas systems for durability and reliability/ you trade that for some accuracy , it is hard to have the best of both worlds
A lot of the parts are interchangeable with or without modification to the 47 and 74
I strongly urge you to wait on Cesspec's to market their steel magazine buy one and try it out I love my 23" 54r , If yours was feeding properly, you would too
If you do end up selling it do so with enthusiasm , never look back and put your funds to something that will make your heart content , once you do that post a picture of your new baby in the other rifles thread on this site , I will not think less of you and neither will most of the firearms enthusiasts on this site
If you buy a 54r Cesspecs mag and don't like it PM me and I will buy it from you , unless you ran it over with a train

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:58 am 

I had trouble with some milsurp at the beginning.Some of that stuff was out of specs.i found Silvertip boatail.I Stocked up on crates of it because it functioned flawlessly.New production ran A+ too.The SGM mags I shaved some plastic off sides below mag lips.The mags didn't want to fit when loading because of expansion due to rounds..Problem solved.It would be nice to see some stell 20 rounders or reinforced polymer ones.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:02 am 

There's a reason I buy stuff when it comes out for the Veprs in 54r. Trying to drum up support for them. If small manufacturers can make stuff for them and make a profit then more people may jump into the game. Would love to have some magazine options.

But why buy one? I guess if you have to ask that question then you'll never get it and I cannot explain it to you. I own an SVT-40 too. All the "aftermarket" support for it is just superb as well. I don't have a PSL but how many options are there out there for it? Even the maligned Mosin doesn't get much support and there are millions of those things.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:40 am 

When I go to the CSSpecs website, I don't see any mags for 54r. Not in stock or upcoming products. You guys got inside info that I don't have?
When they are available, I will buy several at whatever price.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:19 pm 

50hamguy wrote:
When I go to the CSSpecs website, I don't see any mags for 54r. Not in stock or upcoming products. You guys got inside info that I don't have?
When they are available, I will buy several at whatever price.

The info is available in the following forum post: http://www.vepr.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=436&start=50

In short, its in their R&D queue to do but they are working on finishing up a different magazine project first.