THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:33 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:20 pm 

Commie Mike wrote:
Im rolling my dice on Csspecs to come up with them. Hint, hint....

It would be GREAT if they also incorporated the little bumps/notches in the mags like the Lahti M26 mags and M39 Mosin mags have for jostling the rounds going up to prevent rimlock. 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:40 am 

BorisBadenov wrote:
The SGM mag is technically a 10-round mag. I too have not had any issues with them as reported by others, but I've also only put a couple hundred rounds through them not thousands... yet. :)

From what I have seen the mags work better after being used a little bit.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:35 am 

Hi folks! I'm new to the forum, but not to guns. 8-) I joined because I've started prototyping 10+ round double stack mags for my Vepr 54r without milling out the mag well to accept PSL style mags.

I got the idea from my Surefire AR magazine. I'll post pics and welcome advice or ideas. When i have a good working prototype i will definitely ask for orders! Definitely get into mass production if the market demands are there.

BS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:52 pm 

blacksmith45 wrote:
Hi folks! I'm new to the forum, but not to guns. 8-) I joined because I've started prototyping 10+ round double stack mags for my Vepr 54r without milling out the mag well to accept PSL style mags.

I got the idea from my Surefire AR magazine. I'll post pics and welcome advice or ideas. When i have a good working prototype i will definitely ask for orders! Definitely get into mass production if the market demands are there.

BS

I think most people are interested in 20 rounders however i live in Kalifornia and I would certainly be interested.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:56 pm 

J40404 wrote:
I know it's 'technically' a 10 round, but as others have reported, you can fit 11. I remember a few people reporting that with 11, they could not get the magazine to go all the way into the mag well, but I did not have this issue.

I've managed to get 11 rounds in a mag and have it successfully feed okay. havent tried shooting it that way.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:34 am 

I like the length of the factory 5 rounder because I have been shooting my Vepr from my deadshot tripod and prone.I have gone over a number of reviews of the 10 and 20 round mags by SGM tactical and it seems to be a 50/50 satisfaction with their product. Seems really elongated for just a 10 round mag, compared to the 10 round, 7.62x54 mag made by promag for use with the Archangel stock (see pic) I have a good visual on how long a mag with 10+ round capacity and and not extend more than 2 inches past the pistol grip.
The coolest idea I've seen come close was a DTM drum mod for the PSL but for those wanting a practical approach as it applies to weight, it might not be the way someone wants to go in permanently modifying their Vepr receiver to use a PSL mag.
This is where idea makers need to pull out some paper and a pencil and simply create a new design. :idea:
If mags for other semi auto rifles can be "Quad stacked" I don't see why a mag cannot go from double to single, or quad to single. The feed area that clicks in and it should not add a significant amount of length to it (ref the Quad stack mags for the AK and AR platforms) Another idea is a 10-20 round rotary mag (think Ruger 10/22 vs a drum).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:18 am 

I would think that a rotary 20 rd mag is the right way to go .
The single rd opening on the receiver will need a long magazine neck to clear the double rds file into one and that will add length to the magazine so the compactness of the 20rd magazine will be compromised big time . A rotary magazine to the contrary will be the ticket if someone can fabricate it and make it work correctly .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:47 am 

On 9-8-15:

Ultra wrote:
.22 lr is a rimmed cartridge. The best magazine for it is Rugers rotary 10 round box for the 10/22.

The guy who mimics that design for 7.62x54R and a VEPR will have a winner.

The answer......

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:53 pm 

I forked out some bucks to get a DTM to dissect for a prototype build. So lets look at the 60+ drum under the Vepr.
The rounds stack in a spiral. The diameter is definitely old school, and with some refinements internally the ID can be reduced but i would take the internal ID reduction and keep the workable OD of the DTM template, and use polymer, it can be built nice and strong. the load capacity to 20-30 the depth can be halved. Therefore when the feed is extended, the drums overall height(depth) should only increase by about a inch over the original DTM drum. The loading should be similar to the wind up drums for the AK's on the market.

More ideas to follow.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:31 am 

Hey everyone! Wanted to share what I have encountered with the SGM ten round magazine. Had feed problems from day one. I would cycle rounds through with the charging handle and they were going in at a very steep angle. They would put a big gouge in the bullets jacket, and lock there in place and not chamber. Got to looking at the angles of SGM compared to factory. Big difference. Made a wedge to adjust angle. Feeds great! My second SGM mag is doing the same thing. Time for new wedge. The angles are identical when out of the magazine, but its the internal stops in the mag for those little tabs on the follower that are causing the problem. The front ones catch and the rear ones don't even touch. Hope the wedge idea helps.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next