THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:33 am 

Continuation SGM wedge mod.

Last edited by VEPR Freak on Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:05 pm 

Nifty idea. Let us know how it performs with the wedge.

And also, SGM does have a replacement policy - so if these didn't work from day 1 and you had to that much work to get them where they need to be - I am sure SGM would replace these mags for you.

...but nice alternative solution!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:20 pm 

Works flawlessly with the wedge. I think it's just bad engineering on the part of SGM.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:07 pm 
Business Member

Legion USA have OEM Russian and SGM magazines for Vepr 7.62x54Rhttps://www.legionusa.com/ak47-ak-saiga-vepr-parts-accessories-rifle-shotgun/magazines.html?thread_id=316&subcats=Y&features_hash=V8

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:39 pm 

I've recently taken custody of my first Vepr, and my quest for better magazine options brought me to this thread.

Having seen the pictures of the rifle that failed following the PSL magazine conversion, I'm not entirely convinced that the failure was a result of the conversion itself. Most notably, the photos of the damaged cases. Every case I've ever seen fail in that fashion was caused either by a brass cartridge being reloaded one too many times, or by the weapon firing out of battery. Since it appears that the cases were steel, my guess is that the rifle fired out of battery.

Is this common to Vepr's and PSL's? I'm unsure how adapting the rifle to a double stack magazine could create an envirinment within the receiver that would enable the rifle to drop the hammer on the firing pin without the bolt being fully closed. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:21 pm 
Business Member

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129167
You're looking for post 19, they detail the reason the project was canceled.
The angle of feed produced by the PSL/SVD magazine was too low, so a feed ramp was cut into the chamber, the chamber was unsupported and the case failed. You can see the chamber alteration in photo 5 of post 19.
You will see that the cut goes into the trunnion. You can see the removal needed in the last photo of post 19
It was my opinion and that of others, that the removal of this much metal was dangerous.

Another company did attempt a similar modification, they had requested a quote for magazine alterations on PSL mags. In a later communication they stated that the project was canceled after one of their test models detonated during testing causing serious injuries. Apparently they had a trunnion failure rather than a case head separation.. My guess is that they tried to use less modified PSL magazines and cut deeper into the trunnion.

The Lathi M26 is likely to be a safer alteration, but every alteration to a firearm involves risk.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:31 am 

Knowing that the chamber itself was altered; the failure makes sense to me now. I could tell by examining my own Vepr that in order to fit a PSL or SVD magazine, the front trunnion would have to be milled, along with the bottom of the receiver. One of the reasons I chose the Vepr, was the fortified front trunnion. My research into PSL's indicated that they don't handle "heavy ball" ammunition without quickly beating themselves to flinders, and to the best of my knowledge the Vepr does not suffer from the same drawback. Modifying the front trunnion to accept a ten round double stack magazine isn't worth the trade-off of making my rifle ammo-centric (I already have an LR308 that is finicky in that regard, and it annoys me to no end). Thank you for clearing up the actual cause of the failure for me.

That being said, I'll sit back and patiently wait for your magazine offerings for the 54r Vepr.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:38 pm 

Do we have any more updates into the CSSpecs 54r mag development?

r/

Frank

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:11 pm 

CSSPECS, been mostly updating on AKFILES forum website. I asked on it to update us on this, seems like they haven't done so yet. May be they busy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:09 pm 

Here you go guys. Csspecs says the new metal 10rd mags are coming sometime in mid November, 2016. Check the link!

http://stores.csspecs.com/vepr-7-62x54r-10-round/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next