THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:14 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: My 54r Vepr Woes
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:00 am 

https://www.theakforum.net/threads/vepr ... rl.289057/

This is a rifle I’ve been struggling with for a couple years never able to get any kind of reasonable performance out of it. Once in a while I’d get it out of the rest and be able to hit steel or some reactionary target reliably after figuring out a hold but could never really print groups. I detailed the poor performance last October when trying different new ammo out of it. https://www.akfiles.com/forums/threads/ ... st-5868348

“Last up was the Vepr. I’m thinking it’s going to be great. It blew chunks !!! Awful !!! 5+ inch groups on the 148gr and slightly better on the 174gr. WTF !!! In fact I’d almost hazard to say it shot slightly better with the old light ball milsurp. I am indeed perplexed. I’m wondering if I should bother to sample different ammo for the Vepr or simply “off” the thing (can anyone share more Vepr experiences? Go heavier as some suggest?). Now in all fairness I did have a 9x FFP on the PSL and the AccuPoint is 4x with a post reticle but certainly FAAAAR better glass than the old PU Scopes so I don’t think different optics were too much of a factor @ 100yds shooting from a sled.”

Today I ran this stuff: https://ppu-usa.com/ppu/7-62x54-r-match/ Tried to print and as in the past just spattered 4-5” groups from a couple mags. Put it down (disgusted) for an hour, picked it back up and hit 100yd 12” steel 8 out of 10 rounds (WHAAAAT?). Put it back into the sled and shot the 5rd group you see on the upper right. Thinking “okay, I’ve finally got a group I can dial in” I took the elevation down a couple inches and windage to the left by in inch and shot the 6rd group you see lower left. I literally touched nothing else on the rifle but dialed the turrets of the Trijicon Accupoint. I didn’t even change mags (11th round was a stray I hand fed into the chamber)

So, After all this grief - Is this scope toast ? Have I been chasing a drifting reticle the last two years? I’ve always considered Trijicon on the upper tier of optics which is why I’ve used this scope as a floater on new firearms to test, dial in to see how they perform before I commit some other milsurp or specialty optic that will live on it. Should an Accupoint be able to take constant pounding from 762Nato or 54r ? Or is it some fragile hunting scope? It’ll be some time before I’m to the range again and can proof with another optic. Guess I’ll call Trijicon tomorrow with this story and see what they say.

Post subject: Re: My 54r Vepr Woes
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:18 am 

Dang GS. Huge difference in groups. Would think the scope would hold up, but ya never know. What mount set up do you have? Anything loose there?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:42 am 

RSRegulate clean & tight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:42 pm 

Definetely check the sidemount first. Trijicon normally produces stoudt optics.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:49 am 

RSRegulate mounts are top notch. Will be interesting to see what Trijicon has to say.

Do you have another scope to try? Or try that scope on another rifle?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:19 pm 

Yup I've got RSRegulate side mount on it.

On another board it was suggested I pull the scope, mag, Tabuk flashider and shoot 5-shot Irons @ 50yds. If that produces a tight group then add each one at a time with 5-shot groups and see if/when it opens up. I did sent the scope to Trijicon but that will take 8+ weeks to get back. Have other scope to try in the meantime. Hopefully I'll be able to get out next weekend and test.