THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:31 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:54 pm 

i have got two of them but haven't shoot them a so i really don't know what the best of 7.62x54r is. will appreciate response for all those that tested in hunting and LR shooting,

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:26 pm 

They are great shooters. It would have been nice if they produced them to accept double stack mags but they do make great sporters.Years ago I hunted with the 16" and 20" versions and harvested deer with them. Both were stupid accurate and I regretted getting rid of them. Currently I have a new production 20" that I'm getting ready to put a brake and optics on.I will modify OEM FCG to make it a little smoother in the 2nd stage. Normally I use single stage triggers. I will probably leave this one 2 stage. It's one of the nicer OEM Molot triggers I've ever had in a Vepr. I've never shot a V54r over 100 yds.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:22 pm 

I guess I will be the Debbie Downer here. I think the 54r Veprs are fun, enjoyable rifles to shoot. I had 3, 54r Veprs, not all at the same time. My 1st was a 20", V2 slantback. My second a flatback, firewood stock 23" V1 with the adjustable gas system. I do wish I hadn't sold that one. And finally a a slantback, 23" V1. I actually never shot my 23" squareback before I had to sell it. My 20" shot pretty well. My 23" slantback never impressed me. Accuracy was so-so. None ever really had great reliability with the 5rd Molot mags, or the 10rd SGM mags. Waited for the 20rd SGM mags to appear but never did. I was waiting, and waiting for the Csspec mags to come out, but ran out of patience. I have Csspec mags for my 308 Vepr, and M77, and they are great. As far as a bench rifle they arw cool. For a SHTF, or defensive rifle, I would not recommend. I am not confident in feeding from the mags, there were reports of extractors breaking, I don't care for the shutter assembly for the longer action. The newer bolts may need trimming to work with the Csspec mags. I absolutely hated loading the mags with 54r rounds. I do LOVE the .308 Vepr and M77. While the M77 isn't as cosmetically nice as the Vepr it has the adjustable gas system. Unless you have tons of surplus 54r ammo, cheap, steel case 308 is just as affordable as commercial steel case 54r, and 308 has a wider variety of ammo. The 308 uses double stack mags, and are much easier to load. I have had no failure to feed issues with the 308 like I did with my 54r Veprs. Don't get me wrong, the 54r Veprs are fun, but I would not classify any of mine as amazing. I truly wish I thought they were.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:46 am 

I would say that's bad luck owning 3 with unreliable OEM mags.Maybe it was the ammo you were feeding them? On my first V54r I had some surplus Bulgarian ammo that wouldnt feed reliably.I noticed some of it was out of spec a little.I never had any problems with new production or Combloc Silvertip.Im not happy with the newer bolt that must be modified for Csspecs mags but plan on keeping it in sporting configuration. I do like my V308 more because of the mag capacity.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:48 pm 

Typically it was either Wolf, Tula, MFS, Barnaul or PPU. Sved the surplus for my Mosins.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:30 pm 

do yourself a favor and get the KNS adjustable gas piston :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:54 am 

I too had issues with factory Molot mags, i have 2 slantbacks with the square, dished 3rd bolt lug. Typically we shoot 5 rounds in under 3 minutes, allow 5 minute cooldown, and go at it again. I only shoot one of my 23" 54R Veprs, so i cannot speak as to the accuracy or reliability of the 2nd, but id wager the same modifications would also help reliable feed/ejection and accuracy.

After filing down a bevel on said 3rd bolt lug, and sanding internal flashing, snag points, and mag feed lips on Molot mags, they now feed flawlessly. 3rd bolt lug chamfer allows flawless feeding on SGM 10rd mags as well.

I have also installed a Dinzag modified and polished Tapco G2 trigger, and PSO-2 6x scope. Also have different stocks with built in riser. With PPU 150gr SPBT and PPU match 185gr FMJ BT, a friend and much more experienced DMR shooter has managed sub 2 moa 5rd groups, in 10 rd groups with 5 minutes between 5 rd firings, 2 moa. Monarch and Barnaul 148gr yield about 3 moa if its allowed to stay cool; ammo seems inconsistent, we did mix up barnaul and monarch our test day. S&B 185gr SP brass is just over 2 moa, again with an experienced shooter.

I personally cannot best 3.5 moa in 5rds, and 4 moa in 10, with any ammo, consistently. Thats on me however, i need to practice more. My buddy consistently outshoots me, same rifle, ammo, and conditions.

A 54R Vepr will likely not match the accuracy of a free floated .308 AR-10, given limited ammo choices, non-floated barrel, rifling, and design.

My all-matching MINT 1944 Izhvesk Mosin PU sniper outshoots it for the first 10 rds.