Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:31 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:29 am 

Hello, just joined as i just acquired two 23" slantback 54R Veprs.

Seems like a good community, i read lots of info and opinions from here before i purchased my guns or joined.

One has been modified with a compensator and SVD style furniture, but i have the original stocks as well (front handguard requires some work to get fitted in, and thumbhole stock has some dents but no biggie). 2nd is en route, brand new and will not be shot. Current Vepr WAS brand new, but i had empty mags and lots of ammo, and there was this god awful tin pie plate at the range mocking me while shooting one of my Mosin snipers... Also peer pressure from my range buddies to test out my new gun i brought along to show.

The SVD front hand guard keeps loosening when firing 10+ rounds, is there a preferred, nonpermanent solution that would not damage threads and materials? I was thinking of using water gasket sealant, just a bit, down thread holes to grab a bit better, absorb/dampen shock, and lock in the screws in a non permanent way. Used it when building PC RAID cage arrays, fans, ect on professional editing systems to dampen vibrations, as well as in camera rig or audio gear equipment, or just on water pumps like the tube says i should. Also thr cheek rest is plastic and foam garbage, i intend to make my own adjustable unit shortly.

I have also had a few jams/failure to load a mag due to mag swell on two SGM 10 rd mags, AS WELL AS with two factory, brand new 5 rd mags, properly loaded, using both Wolf steel 203gr soft point ammo and PPU brass 150gr fmj ammo, after about 20 rounds through it. I MAY have resolved those issues with a little filing and polishing, and will bring a video cam along next time to properly document if the issues arise again. Also the compensator was loose by about 3/4 of a full turn, i have since added a crush washer that took care of that.

I have gotten mixed info regarding the Vepr optics mount, and have been considering either a PSO 3-9x24 or KOM 3-9x42 with Vepr 65mm mount. Would the SVD PSO-1 3-9x42 fit/lock on the rails and clear, or would i need a different mount? ... rsion.html

Alternatively i would go with the KOM 3-9x42 with Vepr mount. ... mount.html

I love my Mosin snipers, but i would prefer a larger objective, rangefinder, and a variable magnification as i will be shooting at 50, 100, or 300 yard ranges as well as hunting out of state (semi auto hunting not legal in PA), as i intend to shoot the Vepr more often than my PU snipers.

I intend to shoot mostly 147/150gr light ball surplus steelcase, and perhaps some Sellier & Bellot 180gr soft point brass for sighting/hunting, and maybe some 203gr wolf steelcase soft point for wild boar. The Vepr dents both light ball brass and heavy ball steel cases, and i do intend to reload brass in my Mosins from time to time, but not if run through the Vepr.

Thanks and glad to be here!

Lastly, an obligatory shot of my current gun collection..
'43 Ivhesk all matching PU Sniper
'44 Ivhesk all matching PU Sniper
Molot Vepr 23" 7.62x54R, SVD stocks and Killer compensator
S&W M&P Sport 2 AR-15 in .223

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:06 pm 

I am a new member too, your post made me register here. I am in the same market looking for optics for my vepr svd clone. I want fixed 4× with greyfinish so it looks more like svd, most new pso posps are black finish. Also have mosin with PE scope(still working on it) I also live in Pa not far from Philly. Having a hard time finding a rifle range nor anyone who is interested in rifle. I am a new gun enthusiastits nice to see someone from pa.
Very Nice collection You 've got.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:23 pm 

Welcome to the forum, guys!

I have an SVD clone as well. I put a POSP 4-10x42 with variable diopter and AK mount on mine. From what I understand, the SVD mount on the AK rail makes the scope sit in the wrong position (too far forward, I believe. Maybe also too low?). I think also the stopper for the slide is in the wrong position and eventually the recoil can walk the scope along the slide (others may know more about this than me). But your best bet is to stick with an AK mount.

Kalinka has the same PSO you are looking at in an AK mount:

As for the handguard, and mags, it sounds like you solved your problems there. SGM mags are noted to do that, but I'm surprised the factory mags did too.

Here's a pic of mine. It came with the Ironwood Designs SVD furniture, which I do like very much, but I recently picked up the Izhevsk (Russian-made) SVD furniture (like yours). The holes aren't drilled in the buttstock and I'm not in a position to do that currently. I also need a new handguard screw as the IWD handguard eliminates the OEM screw and has a custom made screw. So a project to try and take care of this winter and before spring!

"Must get Moose and Squirrel!"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:51 pm 

Welcome to the forum !

Guns are worthless if you can't feed them....