THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:20 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:26 pm 

Hello I'm new to this forum. I was lucky enough to get a good deal on a zdf slc molot vepr in 308 win. I believe it was manufactured in 1997. It seems Finding a spare bolt /bolt Carrier and piston is going to be an issue. I've contacted multiple companies With no luck. The rifle is in great condition and I believe its value to be more than the 800 I paid for it. Judging on the condition of the internal parts I'd say its had under 250 rounds fired through it, I have put 100 rounds through it at the range with no issues, I've heard of people having bolt failures on the 308 and 54r models so I'm worried about firing it and running the risk of breaking a part I can't replace. If extra parts are not available for purchase, it might be best just to sell it. Might be time to stick with the American made AK platforms, at least parts are available. Any advice? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:07 pm 
Business Member

Carriers and bolts rarely break, when people break them it is normally from a bad reload or they have a squib and fire another live round.
Parts that break from time to time are extractors.. I know of maybe two people that had broken extractors.. That part is a little hard to find but they are around right now.

As for US made AKs, most are made using substandard methods.. I would rather have a PSA AR-15 than most of the current US made AKs.
You also have to remember that AK rifles don't have interchangeable bolts. The bolt has to have the barrel head spaced to it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:47 pm 

Thanks. I'm probably worrying too much, i have a spare OEM extractor on the way so i should be good to go. I plan to use it for hunting this fall and maybe range time every few months. Hopefully it will have a long happy life. I was entertaining an offer from my local gun shop to trade my vepr for a century ak47 underfolder and $250 store credit towards a pistol I want. I read up on these century ak's, I'm not impressed. I also own a DDI akm47, it's ok except stock gets loose after 1 mag. Think I'll keep the Vepr unless it's a big cash offer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:06 pm 

Personally, I would keep the Vepr over any AK that you described. One thing for sure is it wont go down in value anytime soon if ever. The one you have (sounds like robinson arm import) is one of the rarer non super .308's.

To answer your questions asked in the chat..The bolt carrier from a Super Vepr .308 will not interchange directly because the piston is longer, but the bolt should (be sure to check headspace!). The fime import Vepr .308 (not super) carrier should be a direct interchange as well as the bolt (again proper headspace is a must! Or potentially a kaboom).

I have never seen or heard of a bolt or bolt carrier snap,break or crack on a AK based rifle of any caliber. I have seen and heard of bolt and carriers snapping/cracking on the 12g shotguns though. There have been reports of extractors breaking on the rifles but that was mainly the 7.62x54r Veprs, I cant recall any reports of the .308 breaking extractors but Im sure it could happen and may have happened.

Bottom line..I would keep the Vepr and use and enjoy it. I wouldnt worry about the bolt or carrier, and I think your chances of breaking the extractor are very slim unless you are shooting LOTS of rounds (like multiple thousands) imo. Since you have the extractor coming, you should be good to go in any event.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:19 am 

Thanks for the insight. I've got a lot of compliments on it. Here in NH most people I know or see at the range are into AR platforms. I have one too but I enjoy shooting the ak/vepr more. Are extra parts for the 7.62 and 5.45 veprs Interchangeable with other a AK's? If not interchangeable are they easier to find than parts for the 308 version? I like 7.62 for the low cost, I've seen 5.45 at good prices too. I looked at a 16" 7.62 version, But was turned off because They put an AR style stock on it and hacked up the magazine well to take regular AK mags, wanted $1300 for it. I might have gone for it if it was all original,

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:42 pm 

You can interchange the extractor from a regular AK74 5.45 with the Vepr 7.62x39, so extractors would be easy to get. Robski has run the 7.62x39 Vepr this way (see video link)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bLwmFFHWRtM

I have heard reports that the firing pin from a AK74 in 5.45 is also a direct interchange with the 7.62x39 Vepr (would be free floating vs spring loaded) and functions properly.

Just to be completely clear, that wasnt a typo..you can use the extractor + firing pin from a 5.45 AK74 in a 7.62x39 Vepr. They should use the "thin stem bolt" like the Saiga.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292050

"I've been using a 74 extractor in my 7.62x39 Vepr since I got it. 5-600 rounds no issues so far. Took the factory one out to keep since its serialized. Also, took the factory firing pin out and put a non spring loaded 74 pin in."

I would do exactly what this guy did ^ and run the AK74 parts and stash the Vepr parts away.

Most if not all of the other wear parts should interchange as well (hammer spring, recoil spring, extractor spring etc..). You have to keep in mind that the russians are masters of efficency/practicallity and arent likely to retool unless absolutely neccessary.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:12 pm 

Good advice, thanks for sharing the links.