THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ammo
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:34 am 

Ammo...?
Yeah, that's right: ammo.

Have been wondering about the varieties of ammo used and the results users have experienced.
Brand, ammo specs, how they were used, results et al.

~ George Washington

Post subject: Re: Ammo
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:03 pm 

My V308 eats everything- Maylasian brass, Wolf SP, Tula ,Colt. I dont spend high dollar .308 Ammo.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:36 pm 

What do you want your ammo to do?

Make a noise and a hole?

Cycle reliably?

Most any will do those.

Make a nice group- (for an AK variant...)? _ there's a few threads here on what people are getting. Unfortunately, most of it is in the 2MOA land, even with expensive ammo.

Be a good hunting round? Plenty of good choices. What are you hunting, and from how far away?

perform identically to 30mm Vulcan?

shotguns, some gunsmithing, reloading, fabrication, knife making, etc.

I'm a firearms/NFA attorney in Wa. Let's combine business, pleasure, and stamps.

http://www.youtube.com/user/armaggedonite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:21 am 

no, no, nothing serious, merely curious.
I am well aware of the VEPR capabilities.

Have noticed a resurgence of the surplus Malaysian and Korean (PMC) for 2-3 cents more per round than the comparable weight steel - but VEPR is not a picky rifle.

BT (Golden Tiger x39) and a tad more weighty work best, especially where I typically shoot, in the high dessert.

Thanks for the replies.

~ George Washington

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:57 am 

Im not trying to start a brass/steel debate, but since the Malay ammo was mentioned, and I have been recently ammo (window) shopping. I thought I would just point out that those most likely have a bimetal jacket, which is magnetic.

May not make a difference to anyone, but technically could lead to increased wear, even if very minuscule. Im picky about materials, though try to shoot cheap as possible. Prvi works good. Also re-loadable.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:54 am 

Six wrote:
Im not trying to start a brass/steel debate, but since the Malay ammo was mentioned, and I have been recently ammo (window) shopping. I thought I would just point out that those most likely have a bimetal jacket, which is magnetic.
May not make a difference to anyone, but technically could lead to increased wear, even if very minuscule. Im picky about materials, though try to shoot cheap as possible. Prvi works good. Also re-loadable.

True or not I can't say, however for what it is worth it sounds reasonable...

...The copper wash provides BOTH corrosion resistance for the steel jacket and lubrication for the bullet as it passes down the bore. Mild steel jacket against steel barrel would gall. The copper prevents that.

The thin copper wash seems like it would all be abraded away in just a few inches of travel, but it's not. Copper washed bullets exit the muzzle with copper still covering the bearing surface. This can be easily verified by starting with a clean barrel and shooting several rounds of copper washed steel jacketed ammo. Look at the bore near the muzzle. You'll see the SAME streaks of copper on the lands and grooves as you would when you fire full copper gilding jacket bullets. Recovered bullets also show a full covering of copper still on the steel jacket material.

By using a mild steel jacket over a lead core instead of pure gilding metal (copper) jackets both money and copper is saved. The copper wash is applied to the mild steel jacket material before the lead core is inserted. Section a steel jacketed bullet against a sander and you'll see that the steel has copper on both inside and outside surfaces.

Copper wash over a mild steel bullet jacket is a very common method of saving $$$ by military establishments. During wartime shortages it also saves on strategic supplies of copper. The US experimented with, then almost fully converted to copper washed steel jackets for all it's .30 caliber ammo way back during WWII..... Remember the steel wartime pennies made to save copper???

At first it was questioned whether or not copper washed steel jackets would damage rifle barrels. During WWII both Springfield Armory and Winchester (A contractor for the M1 rifle) fired some umpteen hundred thousand rounds of regular gilding jacket ammo and copper washed steel ammo through M1 rifles to find out. After wearing out a few dozen barrels the concensus was.... "There is no appreciable difference in barrel wear between the two types of bullets."

Since that time till now most all US military .30 cal ball ammo (both 30-06 and 7.62 Nato) has been made with copper washed steel jackets. Only a couple of years during the 60's did Lake City make full gilding jackets on some lots of 30-06, but later reverted back to copper washed steel.

Best regards,
Swampy

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-292354.html