THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:00 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:40 am 

This is by dump of all the work I've done to this rifle. It was a very fun project. I have some small pieces left to do. Make a peep sight that's at the proper height in relation to the front sight and barrel. Fit the safety. Add a flash light. For the most part the rifle is GTG. Had to show off right before new years. :)

Started by stripping the entire rifle

Pressed out the barrel. Even after firing a few hundred rounds of silver bear the barrel pin and barrel pressed out easily

Pressed out the rear sight block, HG retainer, and FSB/GB pins. These were bitches. The rear sight block pin hole is drilled in at a pretty severe angle. Making one side about 4mm further forward on the rifle than the other. Getting the RSB backed at the right angle wasn't fun.
The 3mm pins in the retainer and GB were REALLY tight. I had to use a rivet jig to hold the barrel and had to turn down a bolt that was also held by the rivet jig to get those suckers out with the press.

Now the barrel was clean and ready to go on the lathe. I ended up cutting 2" off the barrel. The barrel is now 18.5"
Why did I do this? I dunno. I was bored? :) I wanted an AAC flash hider. I wanted 5/8-24 threads. I wanted to square up the face of the bore and redo the crown so that it and the threads were closer to being concentric with the bore.

After cutting and crowning. Turned down the OD and ready for threads

Threaded with ease. Had to buy a new 60° carbide cutter. Other than that it was easy.

TWS time... So I never liked the side mount. I understand that for an out of the box AK it's the most solid platform available for any optic that's not an Aimpoint micro. I get it. I just had to try something different. TWS is all I could think of. Unfortunately they don't make a hinge for the V2.
Fortunately the railed cover piece is modular and easy to use with any hinge I make. I had some 17-4 PH laying around. Why did I use that and not aluminum
which I also had laying around? Eh, bored?

Test fit worked great. Jeweler's fit. Which I feel is required for this thing. The stock hinge is way too lose and the fit with the recoil rod assembly isn't tight enough.

Cleaned up and getting ready for paint. Sharp edges taken down.

You can also see the gas tube "button?" and how I had to chop it down. It already has a curve cut in it. I had to enlarge that and cut off the whole actual button part. It only serves to keep shit out of the action. With the HG you'll see I'm not taking the gas tube any time soon...

Painting. Gun kote

Eh didn't preheat enough.

This part came out better.

Ream the hinge and rear sight block with a 4mm reamer

Turn down some 17-4 PH round bar to be the 4mm pin with the same angle as the angle that's int he RSB. Right at 90°. Notice the blind hole in the pin to be peened out later.
The 4mm reamer left a .159" hole +/- .0005".
The pin is .160" OD +/- .0005".

It was definitely a press fit. It didn't take a bunch of pumps from the press but there's no way a hammer would have driven it. There is 0 play in the hinge. It's a little harder to open and close than I had wanted. But better too tight than lose. It will work lose over the years.

Even with the aimpoint on, if I open the cover, put it at 90°, and shake it, it doesn't budge.

Finished photos next:

Last edited by jamesavery22 on Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:41 am 

Fully loaded with a 20rnd Csspecs mag it's right at 10lbs. Eh I'm happy :)

Again, didn't preheat enough :\

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:39 am 

Dang! That's a heck of a one of a kind project! I love it!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:59 am 

Wow. Great job!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:33 pm 

Double Wow!. Great job! :shock:

Last edited by Doodi1 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:03 pm 
Voice of Reason

Good work, and great thinking with the TWS adaptor leaf. I bet you could find a market for those, or at least send the design to TWS. I saw your teaser picture the other day and thought that might have been what you were up to. The rail does end up being parallel to the bore then?

That terrible RSB is the only reason I went with the version 1 rifle for my similar project rifle, but I dont have the access to the kind of tools you are showing in your pics.

All around very clean build, and some excellent innovation.

If you are making a rear peep, your options are unlimited, If you are looking for something bolt on, Ive seen some TWS users install a Kel-Tec rear peep from a SU-16, they are inexpensive, and very close in height but they do not seem to make the adjustable one anymore. Some other sights are close in height, but would require milling into the TWS rail.

Anything special to use that handguard?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:12 am 
Business Member

Innovation! I love it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:15 pm 

The bolt on rear peep sights I've seen people use are way too high. Going to make a very low profile one that slides in the slot of the picatinny rail.

The rail is parallel with the top of the receiver. That's as close to parallel with the barrel as I can hope for.

I have another thread some where here on what I had to do to get that hg working.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:00 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1432

Thread on the moe handguards

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:53 pm 

WOW