THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:24 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:02 pm 

Commercial:

Factory VEPR: Obviously.
Promag Saiga mags: Supposedly work, have to file mag catch and may need other mods.
SGM Tactical Saiga mags: Supposedly work, have to file mag catch and may need other mods.

Surplus: these require a bullet guide and filed mag catch to be reliable.

Bulgarian circle 10 waffle: These supposedly fit tight in VEPRs, not sure to what extent. There are 2 versions of these, you can tell the difference by looking at the ribs. The version with the ribs that wrap around the front and have a vertical rib on the front are newer and stronger, the black ones are also less prone to cracks.
Polish Beryl: Supposedly work, black ones are supposedly stronger.
Bakelite 5.45 converted to 5.56: These mags seem to have a mixed reputation but since they are not made for the 5.56 I would not use them as my main mags. You should plan of having to tweak them and try to find some with the Robinson Arms followers rather than some garage mod. These fell out of favor once actual 5.56 magazines were made available.
Weiger: Supposedly will work if you widen the magazine well, in addition to the other mods required for surplus mags.

CONVERTING YOUR RIFLE TO ACCEPT SURPLUS MAGAZINES REQUIRES 922R COMPLIANCE PARTS!

I probably missed some, let me know and I'll add them.

The following magazines fit the AK-47 type magazine well instead of the AK-74 type magazine well and basically will NOT work.

Galil/Orlite
Valmet
Yugoslavian
Polytech
AR mag adapters?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:11 pm 
Generally Butt Naked

great post! i don't have a .223 so i can't be sure, but galil mags possibly? someone on here who has a vepr and galil mags needs to try it out. or, if you have a vepr 223, compare a 7.62 ak mag to the magwell, galil mags use a 7.62 pattern magwell while some other 223 mags use a 5.45 pattern mag well, if the mag well is 7.62 pattern it will fit galil mags and most other 223 ak mags (probably not chinese, but who wants to pay for those anyway)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:41 pm 

Russian Hammer wrote:
galil mags possibly?

My understanding is that the mag well is quite a bit different, making it impractical. Same with Yugo .223 mags.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:00 pm 
Generally Butt Naked

bigj480 wrote:
Russian Hammer wrote:
galil mags possibly?

My understanding is that the mag well is quite a bit different, making it impractical. Same with Yugo .223 mags.

that means it's probably a 5.45 pattern mag well, yugos use a 7.62 pattern along with saigas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:35 pm 

Russian Hammer wrote:
bigj480 wrote:
Russian Hammer wrote:
galil mags possibly?

that means it's probably a 5.45 pattern mag well, yugos use a 7.62 pattern along with saigas

Well, Saiga mags work with VEPRs, as do Promags. Are you sure Saigas use a 47 style mag well? I haven't looked into too much, the only Saiga I have is 7.62.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:48 pm 

Hi, looks like a great forum...

So the Saiga Promags (223) should work without a bullet guide if I understand the first post correctly?

I just ordered a 223 VEPR... I should have it next week.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:57 pm 
Generally Butt Naked

MrFish wrote:
Hi, looks like a great forum...

So the Saiga Promags (223) should work without a bullet guide if I understand the first post correctly?

I just ordered a 223 VEPR... I should have it next week.

yes, if the promags are made for the saiga they should work as the bullet guide is built into the mag

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:25 am 

Edit - I no longer recommend these mags - see my post on the second page.

Saga promags worked for me but I had to modify the following:
1 - file the mag catch as mentioned above
2 -I didn't want to take to much off the mag catch, so I filed the corresponding part on the mags a bit (to look similar to the factory mags)
3 - I had to remove just a bit of material from the top of the right mag lip. The mag was stopping the bolt from going forward.

Modifying the mags was easy... installing a G2 trigger was easy, getting the welded barrel nut off was not!

Last edited by MrFish on Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:00 pm 

MrFish wrote:
Saga promags worked for me but I had to modify the following:
1 - file the mag catch as mentioned above
2 -I didn't want to take to much off the mag catch, so I filed the corresponding part on the mags a bit (to look similar to the factory mags)
3 - I had to remove just a bit of material from the top of the right mag lip. The mag was stopping the bolt from going forward.

Modifying the mags was easy... installing a G2 trigger was easy, getting the welded barrel nut off was not!

Thank you for the info! What side of the mag lug did you file, top or bottom? I think you should have filed enough off of the mag catch to use unmodded mags, then you would never have to file a mag and also have been set for AK mags if you decided to go that route. How much too high were the feed lips?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:32 am 

I filed the bottom of the mag lug so the mag would sit lower. Even after that a small amount was need to be taken off of the right mag lip... more like radiusing the corner. The bolt would not go past the mag without doing so.