THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:29 am 

oh...i have heard of this none-sense....what a bunch of fudds. At my range we also have a 200 meter steel animals- thats have been shot at for nearly 30 years. when they wear out, we replace them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:40 am 

The ranges at Quantico won't even allow civilians to shoot SovBloc caliber ammo!

I was considering joining their gun club until they told me that. Mind you, I do not mean Warsaw Pact surplus, I mean 7.62x39 and 5.45 x39 by ANY manufacturer. It's crazy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:04 pm 

My 16 inch Vepr 02 hasnt been able to crack the 1MOA barrier with any ammo yet. I can down to about 1.75 inch 5 shot groups with 7n6, about 1.25 with Hornady. I like the Hornady ammo for ground hogs. Groups open up with heat - but I do want to do another test with a hot barrel to see if they settle down.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:36 am 
Big Sal

dasu wrote:
My 16 inch Vepr 02 hasnt been able to crack the 1MOA barrier with any ammo yet. I can down to about 1.75 inch 5 shot groups with 7n6, about 1.25 with Hornady. I like the Hornady ammo for ground hogs. Groups open up with heat - but I do want to do another test with a hot barrel to see if they settle down.

1.25 is still much better then ive gotten out of any ak pattern rifle! Congrats man.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:49 pm 

sct7.62 wrote:
For the most part, your results match mine along with your conclusions. My Vepr likes GT the best. Can get that ~1-2" @100 yards on occasion using a Kashtan optic, but 2-4" is typical without trying too hard. The rifle is just not set up as a bench shooter.

Shot the Hornady of it and it wasn't great. Shoot the same ammo out of my 5.45 AR and it shoot 1" quite often with a 3x32 Nikon scope. Love that ammo for the AR.

Never shot the Red Army stuff.

Silver Bear is about the same as your result. Kind of erratic out of the SGL too. Not my favorite 5.45 ammo, but it always works. 7N6 and SB are about the same accuracy out my rifles.

Good review, thanks /sct
What make / model AR do you have in 5.45x39?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:56 am 

Have a couple.

Piston: Adam's Arms 14.5" piston upper with pinned FH. Run it with a cheap 3x optic. Shoots 2" 100y groups all day with Hornady and GT. 7N6 groups are bigger, but plenty good enough. This gun gets beaten hard and keeps going.

DI: Ballistic Advantage 16" SPR barrel mid gas. Other middle grade parts. Great shooter. Run it with a 3-9 x 44 mm Nikon. Shoots everything well, but loves the Hornady ammo.

Various 5.45 AR advice if you want it..
You need a heavy hammer spring to shoot 7N6 in the cold. Too many light strikes. Wolf Heavy spring goes bang always. Other ammo are ok with any spring.
Second, the ASC mags are hit and miss. The modded FDE G2 pmags work great at 28 rounds. These are trust worthy.

/sct