THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: In need of help please.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:35 am 

I acquired a 5.45 vepr a few months ago and have been trying to decide if I want to keep it and convert it.I think I am going to do it but i'm not exactly sure what kind of handguards I can use.Can I use standard Ak-74 handguards or do I have to use rpk handguards, also I know I will have to use a bolt on retainer but do I have to cut anything off?I can't really seem to find much on converting vepr's so I was hoping someone here could help me.Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:31 am 

If you get standard handguards you might have to do some fitting. Hell, its an AK you might have to do some fitting even if you get RPK handguards, especially wooden ones. The retainers are different for intalling standard vs rpk handguards. Also there are a variety of aftermarket handguards available as well that can fit the vepr.

If you have the standard VEPR wooden furniture you wont need to cut anything off. Removing the sling swivel should allow you to remove the wooden handguard.

You have a slant cut or squareback? Pics?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:44 am 

I have a slant cut unfortunately.I wish I had a square cut.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:58 am 

Good things is it seems slant to square back adapters are back in stock at a few places. https://4range.com/product/vepr-slant-t ... 14506.html

Also check out cncwarrior.com for some folding stocks for the slant cut vepr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:14 am 

Will do.So I don't have to cut the current retainer off?I will probably use standard ak74 polymer furniture can I use my gas tube or do I need another?Thabks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:31 am 

There is no retainer, the current handguard is held on by the swivel stud. Nothing to cut off. You will need a regular gas tube if you want to use an upper handguard, note this sometimes requires serious fitting. Might look odd with vepr gastube and AK lower handguard. Note the vepr gas tube has no retainer for a handguard.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:39 am 

Ok, so I just leave this piece alone?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:21 am 

Correct, that can stay, no reason to cut it off. Just for your viewing pleasure here is a link to a converted slant cut that Atlantic used to sell. You can see that piece is still there.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/compone ... l?Itemid=0

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:32 am 

Ok thanks.The reason I asked was I seen a video I think in YouTube where a guy was converting one of these and he said that you have to cut it off in order to put standard handguards on it. I just wanted to know for certain if it was necessary.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:41 am 

He may have been doing a a more 'authentic' conversion using a AKM handguard retainer in which case yes you would have to cut that off as well as remove the gas block and front sight block etc in order to get the retainer on there. If you are using a bolt on retainer there is no need to cut off.